Lakers superstar LeBron James said he is not bothered by the decision to end the NBA’s MVP race before the season resumes in Orlando.The 2019-20 MVP will be determined based on games played up to when the league was suspended in March amid the coronavirus pandemic. That means the likes of James and reigning MVP Giannis Antetokounmpo will not have a chance to further stake their claims as the NBA prepares to return via a 22-team format at Walt Disney Resort on July 30. James, however, told reporters on Monday he’s not too worried about it.MORE: Full NBA schedule for 2020 restart”I’m not disappointed because things happen. You control what you can control, and I can’t control that,” James said. “As far as the MVP race, I think that I’ve shown what I’m capable of doing. Not only individually but from a team’s perspective, us being number one in the West.”James also had something to say about people who doubted his ability to compete in the Western Conference.”There was a lot of conversation about, ‘LeBron can do those things in the East, but if he ever came to the West, what could he do?’ So I heard all of that,” James said. “To be able to have our team at the top of the Western Conference and playing the way that we were playing at that time and the way I was playing, it’s definitely a good feeling.”MORE: Key dates, schedule & more to know about NBA seasonLakers coach Frank Vogel also supported James to win MVP. “Nobody impacts winning more than LeBron James,” Vogel said. “I do believe that he should be the MVP this year. I believe he should be the MVP and I believe Anthony Davis should be the Defensive Player of the Year. I hope those awards go to our two players.”LeBron James is definitely the MVP this season. He is almost averaging a triple double with 25 points, 10 assists, and basically 8 rebounds per game. His defense has been amazing and there is no better leader in sports!— Earvin Magic Johnson (@MagicJohnson) July 21, 2020The Lakers had played 63 of the 82-game regular season when the campaign was halted, Los Angeles boasting a Western Conference-best 49-14 record, with James leading the way. After a difficult first season in Los Angeles, James had returned to his brilliant best for the Lakers in 2019-20 – the veteran’s performances catapulting him into the mix for a fifth MVP award.At the time of the NBA suspending the league, James had been averaging 25.7 points, 10.6 assists and 7.9 rebounds per game for the Lakers.
Hunt then returned to Regina Pats of the WHL where the speedy forward put up some great numbers — 14 goals, 37 assists — before being moved to Medicine Hat Tigers in trade deadline deal — and 19 goals and 17 assists.The son of Carla DeBiasio and Jeff Hunt then helped the Tigers advance past the first round of the Eastern Division playoffs before being knocked out by the Calgary Hitmen.Hunt scored five goals and added two assists in 10 playoff games.“It was tough not being selected (in the 2014 NHL draft) but I was able to get some experience with Carolina as a free agent,” explained Hunt, who has spoken to some scouts during the season but nothing really serious.“That gave me some redemption of not being drafted. And that fueled my season. . .. Plus I had some great linemates in Regina that helped also and I was able to keep that going after I was traded to Medicine Hat.”Hunt, who some project could be drafted in the fourth round, played minor hockey in Nelson, capturing a Bantam Provincial title before heading to play at Notre Dame in Wilcox, Sask.He returned back to the Heritage City in 2010-11 to play in the BC Major Midget Hockey League with the Kootenay Ice before landing a spot in the WHL with Regina after being picked up by the Pats in a trade with Kootenay Ice in Cranbrook.Hunt, who was counted on to kill penalties this season along with being an obvious regular with the man-advantage, played two plus seasons for the Pats before the recent trade to Medicine Hat.“I’ve always tried to prove people wrong,” Hunt said when asked about is success.“My parents always told me to be the hardest working player on the ice and that will get you farther than just talent so I work extra hard all the time.”Hunt, whose younger brother Sawyer helped Kimberley Dynamiters win the Kootenay International Junior Hockey League title in March, has been back in Nelson working with local fitness trainer Cody Abbey to stay in shape.However, with no ice in Nelson during part of the summer, Hunt is off to Kelowna this weekend to train before heading to Calgary to work with Crash Conditioning, a company designed for elite hockey athletes of all ages based around hard work, devotion, and strong minded athletes.No doubt with this dedication, and skill, Dryden Hunt will find a place to continue his career at the professional level.Where, and who for, will definitely be a bonus for the scout going out on the limb with a late round pick.DRAFT NEWS: The first round of the draft is held Friday (June 26) and broadcast live by NBCSN in the United States and Sportsnet and TVA in Canada, beginning at 4 p.m., PT. Rounds 2-7 will be held on Saturday, June 27, beginning at 10 a.m., ET, with NHL Network providing live coverage to viewers throughout North America. . . . Nelson native Morey Gare will not be at the table of the Edmonton Oilers for this draft. Gare, head pro scout for Edmonton for the past decade and had been with the Oil since 2001, was relieved of his duties along with head amateur scout Stu MacGregor and two other members of the scouting staff — Brad Davis and Kent Hawley — a week before the draft. There are only a few Connor McDavid’s or Jack Eichel’s to go around for National Hockey League teams at the 2015 entry draft Friday in Sunrise, Florida.Which is why professional hockey teams pour a ton of money into scouting, to find those sleepers . . . those late round picks that can make the difference.Nelson’s Dryden Hunt is sure he’s one of those late round gems.Fact is the Nelson Minor Hockey grad isn’t even sure he’ll be selected in the top rounds during the upcoming draft.After being passed over during his draft-eligible year in 2014, the 6-foot, 200-pound forward is taking everything in stride.“Obviously it’s a pretty big deal and every kids dream to be drafted into the NHL, but being 19 (years of age) I feel my chances are a bit slim,” Hunt told The Nelson Daily on the eve of the draft which begins Friday at 4 p.m. PT.“If I was 17 or 18 (years old) it would be really exciting,” Hunt adds.“But I’d still love to be picked and go to any team that wanted to take me.”Despite not getting an invitation at the 2014 NHL party, Hunt never let the setback threaten his career.Instead, he used the disappointment as motivation, experiencing a very successful offseason and Western Hockey League campaign.After the draft, the Carolina Hurricanes came calling with a free-agent offer.The 19-year-old Hunt parlayed a successful camp with the Hurricanes into a spot on club’s Prospect’s Team at a tournament last September in Traverse City, Michigan.
The seminar is open to everyone, however those working in the forest industry will be given priority. The event will focus on the risks associated with distracted driving by using “stories and science over statistics”.It’s recommended those in safety leadership roles attend the workshop. Those wanting to take part are asked to call 1-877-741-1060, or send an email to email@example.com to register.The seminar portion will be held from 8:30 – 11:45 a.m., and the workshop will go from 1:00-4:30 p.m.- Advertisement –
South Torrance 3, Palos Verdes 0: Kiley Tamblyn’s second ace sealed a 25-18, 25-23, 33-31 win for host South (9-4). Tamblyn also had 20 digs. Hattie Waybright recorded 13 kills and three aces. Shannon Roberts added 11 kills and three blocks for South. Palos Verdes is 4-3. North Torrance 3, Cerritos 0: Ashleigh Gideon had nine kills to lead host North in a 25-16, 25-10, 25-18 win. Sara Elliot recorded six kills for North (10-2). In the Prep League … Chadwick 3, Webb 0: Casey Reed and Michelle McCarthy each had six kills in a 25-13, 25-13, 25-18 win for visiting Chadwick (3-1, 1-1). Boys water polo Palos Verdes lost to Ventura, 8-7, in overtime in its second-round game of the Coronado Tournament at the Coronado Aquatic Center. Sean Bauer and Michal Halac each scored three goals in Palos Verdes’ 13-5 first-round win over Torrey Pines. Palos Verdes (2-1) will play a consolation-bracket game today at 10 a.m. at La Jolla High.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The biggest contributor for Torrance was junior Chelsea Tupuola, who finished with 13 kills and 20 digs. Tupuola is Torrance’s season leader in both categories. Katie Judd added 11 kills, 11 digs and two aces. Arianna Holguin finished with 27 assists and four aces in Torrance’s win over one of its city rivals. “Every win’s a good win, but anytime you play somebody from across town, it feels even better to get a win. It’s for bragging rights,” Jones said. Another thing Torrance can brag about is the fact that it has played three matches and a total of 13 games over the last four days. Torrance beat Palos Verdes in five games Tuesday and lost to Bishop Montgomery in three games Thursday. “For them to fire up and get through a five-game (match) after a five-gamer on Tuesday really shows a lot,” Jones said. “I’m really proud of where we are.” In other nonleague matches … From staff reports Right-side hitter Katy Zukas might not have had her best day for the Torrance girls volleyball team, but the last of her four kills put away visiting West Torrance, 21-25, 25-19, 17-25, 25-26, 15-13, Friday for a nonleague victory. “I’m trying to think of a better way to put it, but she had had a bad night up until that fifth game,” Torrance coach Nathan Jones said. “It may have only been her fourth kill of the whole night, but it was a big one.” West’s Laura Day served six straight points in the fifth game to draw the Warriors within one point of Torrance (7-4) at 10-9. She finished the match with 10 kills and 18 digs. Tara O’Brien added 13 kills for West (6-4).
Arsenal missed the chance to close the gap at the top of the Premier League. They have Ashley Williams to thank for that.A 2-1 loss to Swansea in front of their own fans means they remain three points behind Tottenham, who also lost their midweek game and six behind leaders Leicester.So what’s to blame for the faltering displays so near the end of the season?Here, some fans have offered their solutions on what or who will finally make Arsenal great again. 1 Arsenal fans’ view on who they should sign and get rid of
VERDICT: Prosecutors say the man acted out of racism. The defendant says he killed the victim in self-defense. By Robert Imrie THE ASSOCIATED PRESS MARINETTE, Wis. – A jury on Friday found a white former sawmill worker guilty in the shooting and stabbing death of a Hmong immigrant with whom he crossed paths while both were hunting squirrels in the northern Wisconsin woods earlier this year. “Mr. Nichols took the verdict very hard,” defense lawyer Kent Hoffmann said. “We believe this was a case of self-defense.” Nichols told investigators he and Vang got into a dispute while hunting separately Jan. 5 in the Peshtigo Wildlife Area. He acknowledged shooting and stabbing Vang, but said he was protecting himself. Prosecutors have portrayed Nichols as prejudiced against Hmong and a liar. In recorded interviews played for jurors, Nichols explained wounds he suffered without saying he had killed a man, gave the wrong location for the shooting and referred to Hmong as “bad” and “mean.” A former boss testified that Nichols once said he hated Hmong and wished he killed a Hmong man he had encountered on a trip. Korte said in his closing argument Friday that Nichols took advantage of the isolation in the Peshtigo Wildlife Area to act on an “ugly trait.” “The only person who had the right to exercise self-defense is dead, killed by the defendant,” Korte said. Nichols told investigators he shot and stabbed Vang after the Hmong hunter shot him twice in the hands. But several witnesses disputed elements of his story; even a firearms expert called by the defense Friday said Vang appeared to have fired only once. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREChargers go winless in AFC West with season-ending loss in Kansas CityThe jury found James Nichols guilty of second-degree intentional homicide in the death of Cha Vang, a case that had rekindled racial tensions in northern Wisconsin, where a Hmong deer hunter fatally shot six white hunters three years ago. Nichols appeared to fight back tears as he left the courtroom with his arms folded against his chest. Pang Vue, the victim’s widow, collapsed outside the courtroom after the verdict and was carried away moaning by a sheriff’s deputy. A family member said later that she had fainted and was taken to a hospital, but she was expected to be fine. “We are pleased with the verdict,” said Assistant Attorney General Roy Korte who prosecuted the case. “I am sure it was a tough decision and we respect the verdict.” Nichols, 29, of Peshtigo, had been charged with first-degree intentional homicide, but the judge gave jurors an alternative of the lesser charge that carries a maximum 60-year prison term instead of life. Judge David Miron said a sentencing date would be set next week. Nichols also was convicted on charges of hiding a corpse and being a felon in possession of a firearm.
TYRONE COUNTY BOARD have this evening issued a statement in which it completely refutes the suggestion made by Donegal minor manager Declan Bonner that a Tyrone player taunted Michael Carroll over the death of his father.Declan Bonner claimed Donegal minor star Michael Carroll was taunted over the death of his father.Declan Bonner said his Donegal minor captain Michael Carroll was taunted over the death of his father Francie Carroll who died from cancer last year.The stomach curdling taunts left Bonner questioning whether or not he wanted to be involved with the game and said something urgently needed to be done and the culprits held responsible for their actions. However, following the abhorrent revelations that has been met with condemnation by the rest of the GAA fraternity, Tyrone have responded by absolutely refuted all claims.The Tyrone statement read, “Due to persistent allegations circulating in the media, some of which have been attributed to the Donegal Minor football manager, regarding verbal abuse during the Tyrone v Donegal Ulster Minor Football Championship match, Coiste Contae Thir Eoghain has conducted an investigation, involving its management and players.“As a result of the investigation undertaken it would refute in the strongest possible terms that a comment was made by any of its players to a Donegal player regarding the death of his father in 2014. “Tyrone GAA in no way condone ‘sledging’ and the managers and coaches of all our county teams, from Acadamh Thir Eoghain to Senior, actively discourage this practice. Tyrone GAA congratulates both Donegal teams on their victories on Sunday in Ballybofey, wishing them well in the remainder of their 2015 campaigns and would express our deepest sympathies to the player on his loss. TYRONE REFUTE CLAIMS THAT DONEGAL MINOR PLAYER WAS TAUNTED OVER FATHER’S DEATH was last modified: May 22nd, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalGAAnewsSportTyrone
John Souttar and Uche Ikpeazu are set for around five months out But the Edinburgh club’s hopes of maintaining their position at the league summit have been severely dented by Thursday’s injury update.Souttar and Ikpeazu have both been ruled out of action for at least five months.Scotland international Souttar, 22, suffered a muscle tear in his hip during the international break and could miss the next six months as a result.Former Reading and Watford youngster Ikpeazu has made a major impact for Hearts since signing from Cambridge United in the summer, but he is also set for a spell on the sidelines.The 23-year-old has been told a recent foot injury requires surgery that could keep him out until March. 2 2 Levein said: “John will be out for five or six months by the looks of things. He landed awkwardly and tore the lining of his hip, which is a blow.“While we’re on it, Uche will be out for five months as well by the looks of things. This problem we’ve had with his foot we’ve managed to finally get to the bottom of.“It’s a really obscure problem which needs an operation.”The timing of the double blow is particularly bad, with Hearts set to face Celtic over two legs in a Scottish League Cup semi-final in the coming weeks.They are also scheduled to play city rivals Hibernian, who are currently second in the table, in the league before the end of the month, and will do so without two of their key first-XI.Souttar has started all 14 of Hearts’ matches this season, and won his first Scotland caps against Belgium, Albania and Israel.Ikpeazu, meanwhile, has scored four goals in ten games since his arrival from Cambridge. Scottish Premiership leaders Hearts have been dealt a major blow to their title ambitions, with news defender John Souttar and striker Uche Ikpeazu have both been sidelined with injury.The Jambos have been this season’s surprise package, with Craig Levein’s side holding a two-point lead at the top of a competitive table. Craig Levein has guided Hearts to the top of the Scottish Premiership
BREAKING NEWS: This is the horrific scene after a two car collision in West Donegal this evening.It appears that two cars, believed to be a silver Mercedes and a red Volkswagen Bora, collided head-on at Middle Dore, Bunbeg.An ambulance rushed to the scene and was there just minutes after the smash which happened just after 9pm. An eye witness told Donegaldaily.com that three people have been removed into the ambulance.One of those was put on a stretcher and the other two walked into the ambulance but were covered in cuts and bruises.At this stage it is unclear as to the full extent of their injuries.Just a short time ago two Garda cars, another ambualnce and a fire brigade arrived at the scene. There is a lot of debris on the road and fuel has spilled from both vehicles.“It’s a real mess down there. I don’t know how bad the people in the cars are.“There’s a lot of debris and the cars are I a right state,” he said. THREE INJURED AFTER HEAD-ON SMASH was last modified: February 16th, 2012 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Bunbegcar crashLower Dore