WILMINGTON, MA — The Wilmington Recreation Department’s held its 48th Annual Easter Egg Hunt — which turned into an Easter Parade due to the weather — on Saturday, April 20, 2019 at Wilmington High School.Hundreds of children paraded from the high school’s entrance to the cafeteria, where dozens of volunteers were waiting with eggs filled with candy.Wilmington Community Television was on hand to cover parade. Watch the short video below:—Video Playerhttps://s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/wilmington.castus-vod/vod/video/1a7ab4fb-014f-46b5-9b56-279a64eb7a20/video.original.mp400:0000:0008:60Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.—Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedVIDEO: Watch ‘The Back Track Band’ Perform A Concert On The CommonIn “Videos”VIDEO: Watch ‘Jimmy & The Jesters’ Perform A Concert On The CommonIn “Videos”VIDEO: Highlights From Wilmington’s Tiny Tots/Kids Club ProgramIn “Videos”
Smoke billowing from the site of a downed Sukhoi-25 fighter jet in the northwest province of Idlib in Syria. Rebel fighters shot down a Russian plane over Syria’s northwest Idlib province and captured its pilot. Photo: AFPA Russian pilot was killed Saturday in fighting with Islamists after his warplane was downed over northwest Syria, Russia’s defence ministry and a monitor said.Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS), a powerful jihadist-dominated alliance said, on an affiliated media channel it had shot down the plane but made no mention of the pilot.“We were able to bring down the Russian warplane with a shoulder-fired missile above Saraqib in Idlib this afternoon,” said Mahmoud al-Turkmani who, according to the statement, heads HTS’s “air defence brigade.”He said the attack was in retaliation for a ferocious bombing campaign by Russian warplanes over Idlib.HTS, which is dominated by Al-Qaeda’s former affiliate in Syria, controls Idlib and has sought to fight back a ferocious Russian-backed assault by Syrian government troops.An AFP correspondent who arrived at the crash site on Saturday saw what appeared to be the charred remains of the plane, including a wing with a red star still visible.Firefighters arrived to put out flames that had been spewing dark smoke into the wintry Syrian sky.The Russian defence ministry confirmed that the Su-25 aircraft was shot down over Idlib province and said the pilot was killed “in fighting against terrorists.”‘Killed fighting’“A Russian Su-25 aircraft crashed during a flight over the Idlib de-escalation zone. The pilot had enough time to announce he had ejected into the zone,” the defence ministry said.“The pilot was killed in fighting against terrorists,” it said, quoted by Russian agencies.It added that “according to preliminary reports, the plane was shot down by a portable anti-aircraft missile system.”The US State Department said it was “deeply concerned” at reports of such a weapon being used.Spokeswoman Heather Nauert told AFP the solution is a return to United Nations-led talks in Geneva and for “Russia to live up to its commitments in that regards.”Washington has more than 2,000 troops inside Syria working with anti-Jihadist Kurdish and Arab fighters, and flies air strikes against the Islamists.The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the jet was downed near the town of Saraqib in Idlib and the pilot parachuted to the ground.He was killed clashing with rebels as they tried to take him hostage, said the Britain-based Observatory.“There have been dozens of Russian air strikes in the area over the past 24 hours. This plane was also carrying out raids there,” said Abdel Rahman.The Observatory said 20 people, including eight children, were killed on Saturday during a bombardment on Saraqib and surrounding villages.Syria’s uprising broke out in 2011 with protests against Assad’s rule but has since morphed into a complex war drawing in global powers.Moscow began conducting air strikes in Syria in September 2015, and its intervention has swung the nearly seven-year conflict firmly in the favour of its ally in Damascus.Opposition factions have shot down Syrian regime planes in the past, but the downing of Russian aircraft is much rarer.Turkey shot down a Russian warplane in November 2015, leading to the worst crisis in ties between the two countries since the end of the Cold WarIn August 2016, a Russian military helicopter was shot down over Syria, killing all five people on board.Deadly fire on Turkish tankRussia has been spearheading a more than year-long diplomatic push to try to freeze the fighting in coordination with fellow regime ally Iran and rebel backer Turkey.Ankara has supported an array of rebel groups to fight Syria’s government, the Islamic State jihadist group, and Kurdish militia that it has blacklisted as “terrorists.”On January 20, Turkey and allied rebel fighters began an offensive on the Syrian enclave of Afrin, held by the Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG).Seven Turkish soldiers were killed on Saturday as part of the assault, including five who died in a single attack on a tank, the Turkish army said.The losses mark the highest toll in a single day for the Turkish army in operation “Olive Branch.”The Observatory has also counted 104 allied rebels and 102 YPG fighters killed since the offensive began, as well as 68 civilians.Ankara has denied targeting civilians as part of its Afrin offensive.Mourners on Saturday gathered in Afrin to commemorate victims of the operation, including female fighter Barin Kobani whose badly mutilated body appeared in a shocking video earlier this week.The footage sparked accusations by her family and Kurdish officials that she was “defiled” by Turkish-backed rebels.The opposition’s government-in-exile said Saturday it had opened an investigation into the matter.Thousands of people protested on Saturday in France against Turkey’s operation “Olive Branch,” gathering in Strasbourg and Paris to condemn the assault.
Citation: Single-inlet electric vehicle charging to showcase in LA (2012, May 5) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2012-05-single-inlet-electric-vehicle-showcase-la.html (Phys.org) — Big names in global car manufacturers have announced a common method for charging electric vehicles. The companies are in agreement with a common charging technology for use on electric vehicles in Europe and the United States. The new method will provide special convenience by enabling car owners to charge their EVs using AC or DC from a single inlet. The charging system will allow for both alternating current and faster direct current charging on the same port. Another feature of the new system is that the charge can be done in faster time; a battery charge will take only 15 to 20 minutes. Explore further Seven auto manufacturers collaborate on harmonized electric vehicle fast charging solution Audi, General Motors, BMW, Chrysler, Daimler, Ford, Porsche, and Volkswagen are the automakers who support the technology, which will be showcased next week at the Electric Vehicle Symposium (EVS) in Los Angeles, from May 6 to May 9.The first vehicles to use the system are expected next year. Vehicles are already in development that will be capable of using the new system. The charging solution is titled “DC Fast Charging with a Combined Charging System” or Combined Charging System, for short. An EVS statement says this is a step forward in reducing complexity with its combined AC and DC charging. “One vehicle inlet, one control logic, one communication path, and one electric architecture.” The LA event will show vehicles and charge pumps for the Combined Charging System. According to reports, the system was developed for all international vehicle markets. Uniformity was key, with identical electrical systems, charge controllers, package dimensions and safety mechanisms.Numerous auto blogs point to the announcement as good news for an EV industry trying to achieve wider consumer adoption by coming up with practical solutions for battery charging. Car buyers understandably are skittish about not having available charging opportunities on longer drives or about charging waits. The new method takes15 to 20 minutes to power up a car using a similar standard.The charging system integrates one-phase AC-charging, fast three-phase AC-charging, DC-charging at home and ultra-fast DC-charging at public stations into one vehicle inlet. The International Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) has chosen the Combined Charging System as a standard that incrementally extends existing Type 1-based AC charging The standard is to be officially published this summer. ACEA, the European association of vehicle manufacturers, has chosen the Combined Charging System as its AC/DC charging interface for new vehicle types in Europe as of 2017.According to a Chrysler release, the timeline is as follows: Commercially available combined charging units are projected for later this year. All committed OEMs have vehicles in development that will use the Combined Charging System. The first vehicles to use this system will reach the market in 2013. © 2012 Phys.Org This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
Kolkata: Mystery shrouds the death of a 13-year-old boy whose body was found at his residence in Uttarpara in a strangulated condition.The incident triggered tension among locals. The family members of the victim, however, alleged that he was murdered following some family rivalry. Police are probing into all possible angles behind the incident. The victim has been identified as Subhojit Jana. He was a class VIII student of Uttarpara Amarendra Vidyapith in Hooghly. The incident took place in Mondalpara area of Uttarpara on Saturday evening when his parents were not Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal lifeat home. According to the preliminary investigation, police suspect that the victim might have been playing with a piece of cloth when the incident occurred. They are also investigating if or not the victim was trying to enact a scene that he might have watched on television. It was learnt from the police sources that when his parents reached home they found that he was lying on the floor with a piece of cloth tied around his neck. They immediately took the victim to Uttarpara State General Hospital where the doctors pronounced him brought dead. The family members of the boy told the police that they suspect foul play behind the incident as there was a family rivalry going on for sometime. They demanded a high-level probe. The senior police officers in the district assured the family members that they are looking into all possible angles. Police have sent the body for an autopsy.
Each chapter brings out sensational revelations that if taken into consideration and scrutinised individually could be vital in understanding the larger conspiracy.For the first time since the NSEL crisis engulfed the FTIL group, an investigation uncovers sensational revelations in the chronological narrative of ‘The Target’. This is the first time that explosive exposure regarding a powerful politician and an influential bureaucrat have come to the fore in the NSEL saga. Many a times in the past, former Finance Minister P Chidambaram’s name has been dragged with controversies surrounding market manipulations. This book has authenticated the degree of his interest in the business of stock exchanges. Also Read – Add new books to your shelfShantanu has combined his investigation with flashbacks of Jignesh Shah’s stardom. He has produced documentary evidence that adds merit to his research which went on for nearly two years. Each chapter brings out an observation that if taken into consideration and scrutinised individually could be vital in understanding the larger conspiracy. Through a seamless flow, the book brings out the core – how Chidambaram’s most favourite bureaucrat, K P Krishnan, in the Finance Ministry took the rising competition against NSE due to FTIL’s phenomenal rise as a potential threat to their interest. NSEL crisis was a smokescreen to the ulterior motive which was to obliterate FTIL group and Jignesh Shah’s innovative spirit. The crux of the book is the strategic planning to execute the hatched plot against Jignesh Shah and his group. Also Read – Over 2 hours screen time daily will make your kids impulsiveThrowing in glimpses of the past, Shantanu describes Jignesh Shah as an unstoppable force who changed the dynamics of the financial markets. And, it became a catalyst for his downfall.From then on the book spirals into exposing the conspiracy by the political-bureaucratic-rival network that colluded so that Jignesh Shah who had effortlessly torn down NSE’s cartel and established a democratic market for all could be stripped off his innovative spirit. Planned strategic measures that fell into place one by one to entangle Jignesh Shah and his FTIL group in a web of conspiracy has been narrated explicitly. One often wonders if not for this book, could anyone have imagined that the financial markets do run a parallel administration in the country. Without any doubt, the protagonist of the book is Jignesh Shah. Shantanu draws parallels in Shah’s life from that of John Galt from Ayn Rand’s legendary novel ‘Atlas Shrugged’. John Galt dared to challenge the status quo of the existing system by standing up against those who tried to bring him down. In the end, like John Galt, Shah too revolutionised the system. Shah comes across a man who has been misconstrued because he defied popular perception by playing the odds and winning every time!
Growing a business sometimes requires thinking outside the box. This story originally appeared on Reuters 2 min read June 1, 2015 Free Webinar | Sept. 9: The Entrepreneur’s Playbook for Going Global Register Now » Google increased privacy controls for users and rolled out a website on Monday that answers frequently asked questions in response to increasing concern over how the search giant collects and uses its massive amounts of data.Users have been able to control certain privacy settings for months or years, such as whether to save web browser and location history, which is also used in targeted advertising.But managing the controls is confusing and time consuming because the settings are in various places across the web that are not always easy to find.Now users will be able to use My Account, which provides a privacy checkup and security checkup, or lists where people can check off which data they want to be public and private.Google’s new website answers frequently asked questions, such as whether the company sells personal data and what information is given to advertisers.”We knew that users find privacy and security really mysterious so we wanted to make it very approachable,” said Guemmy Kim, product manager for account controls and settings.Data control has become increasingly important to users in recent years as more day-to-day activity has moved to the Internet.In 2013, Edward Snowden leaked classified documents that showed the U.S. National Security Agency was engaging in mass collection of phone records, placing companies that have enormous amounts of data, such as Google, Facebook and Apple, under increasing scrutiny.Only 9 percent of people in a recent Pew survey felt they had a “lot” of control over their data.Monday’s rollout comes on the heels of newly increased app permissions for Android, which Google announced at its annual developer’s conference last week. The new system mirrors the app permissions on Apple’s iPhones, which do not allow apps to automatically access numerous types of data, such as location or phone contacts.(Reporting By Yasmeen Abutaleb; Editing by Michael Perry)
Safaricom gave M-Pesa users 24 hours of free mobile money transfers as a balm for the inconvenience and losses suffered over the two days after the network outage it suffered. (Photo Credit: The Star Kenya) Advertisement On Monday this week, Kenya’s telecom company; Safaricom suffered a major network outage that left many Safaricom customers devastated, when they couldn’t make calls, send money, buy data, as the company claimed it had experienced a technical hitch. However, many believed that it might have been hacked.On Wednesday, according to reports by Capital FM in Kenya, Communications Authority (CA) Director General Francis Wangusi is said to have given Safaricom seven (7) days to give a comprehensive report on what exactly caused the outage that saw its services down for almost 10 hours.Wangusi says MPESA handles over 700 million transactions per hour and this downtime caused a huge loss to the economy, Capital FM reports. – Advertisement – “The regulator and the government at large oversaw this as a security risk, we are working on a competition study, and in that competition study we are looking at regulatory interventions that we need to make in order to spread some of these risks,” Wangusi said.Capital FM Kenya continued to report that Wangusi warned the teleco if found culpable for the outage will be fined from 500, 000 Kenyan Shillings (roughly 17.6 million UGX) to 0.20% of annual turnover. He added that the penalty will depend on the impact of the downtime on the economy as well as the measures Safaricom took to correct the situation.Safaricom CEO; Bob Collymore came out to say that they outage was caused by two traffic outlets which failed rapidly one after the other.While in other news, Safaricom is said to have given M-Pesa users 24 hours of free mobile money transfers as a balm for the inconvenience and losses suffered over the two days