Pressmart Gets 6M in Funding

first_imgOther e-paper vendors include Zinio, Texterity and Nxtbook, which was recently named to Inc. magazine’s 500 fastest-growing private companies in the U.S. Pressmart, a new media delivery partner for newspapers and magazines, has secured $6 million in funding from venture capital firms Draper Fisher Jurvetson and NEA IndoUS Ventures.The investment, the company said in a statement, will help Pressmart “accelerate its global footprint” and to build its global sales, marketing and customer-support services. Pressmart CEO Sanjiv Gupta said the company has seen a “remarkable” adoption rate of its print-to-digital service over the last two years. As part of the deal, Draper Fisher Jurvetson partner Sateesh Andra and NEA IndoUS Ventures managing director Vinod Dham will join Pressmart’s board of directors.In March, Pressmart partnered with distributor Curtis Circulation Co. to launch iMags, a digital sales, distribution and marketing service for magazine publishers. last_img read more

Time Inc Rationalizing Portfolio as Q1 Shows Continued Decline

first_img Also Wednesday, CEO Rich Battista told investors that Time Inc. is investing in “an aggressive cost re-engineering program” along with “rationalizing” its portfolio — a phrase that usually refers to shutting or selling properties.  It’s a rocky start to 2017 for Time Inc., which last month appeared to have closed the door on acquisition discussions with multiple parties, at least for the time being. Meredith Corp. reportedly valued the company at $18 per share — below the $20 per share that Time Inc. supposedly sought. Time Inc.’s revenue declined by $54 million, or 8 percent, in the first three months of 2017, marking another quarter of contraction for the beleaguered but still giant publisher. Overall revenue for the quarter was $636 million, including $212 million from print advertising (down 21 percent from the same period in 2016) and $119 million from digital advertising, which increased by 32 percent. Circulation revenue also decreased by 14 percent, or $33 million, which the company attributed to changes in frequency across brands, as well as a consumer preference for digital media. Editor’s note: An earlier version of this story reported that Time Inc. had rejected an offer from Meredith Corp. Time Inc. has not confirmed that claim. View the company’s official statement here.center_img As Battista promised a brighter future, former CEO Joe Ripp said goodbye to yesterday. Ripp is leaving his role as executive chairman of Time Inc., as is board member Howard Stringer. Ripp is being replaced by John Fahey as non-executive chairman of the company. Dan Rosensweig, president and CEO of the learning platform Chegg, Inc., has also been nominated to the board.  Operating income was reported at a loss of $26 million, following decreases in revenues as well as large restructuring costs, to the tune of $16 million, that followed a year of layoffs and the resulting severance payments. In an earnings announcement Wednesday, the company also said that it has identified “non-core assets,” which it will begin to divest shortly. It’s not clear which assets will be sold, but the news of a potential selloff comes just days after Time Inc. said it would follow its own strategic plan instead of seeking a sale of the whole company. Shareholders responded unfavorably to Wednesday’s report, with shares dropping from $15.13 on Tuesday afternoon to $12.25 Wednesday morning. At press time, shares had stabilized around $13.08.last_img read more

2 Young Wilmington Brothers To Hold Car Wash To Benefit MS Society

first_imgWILMINGTON, MA — Two Wilmington youngsters — Anthony and Jack LaVita — are holding their annual car wash fundraiser this Sunday, July 21, 2019 from 10am to 2pm at 17 Heather Drive in Wilmington. $10 per vehicle. All proceeds will be donated to the National MS Society. If you cannot make the car wash but would like to make a donation, click HERE.Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email wilmingtonapple@gmail.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… Related5 Things To Do In Wilmington On Sunday, July 21, 2019In “5 Things To Do Today”THIS WEEKEND: Car Wash For WHS Field Hockey, Farmers Market, Free Concert & Voter Registration Drive ALL At Town Common On Sept. 8In “Community”Wilmington High Field Hockey Teams To Hold Car Wash On September 8In “Community”last_img read more

BTRC launches 100 to hear complaints

first_imgThe Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission (BTRC) on Sunday launched its new short code number 100 in a bid to solve customer hazards and problems quickly.BTRC issued a direction in this regard cancelling the previous short code 2872.According to the direction, the operation of Complains for Telecommunication Service (CTS) call centre has gone easier with the new three-digit short code.BTRC secretary Sarwar Alam told UNB the previous number was changed as it was difficult for customers to recognize.The customers will be able to lodge complains from 9:00am to 5:00pm on working days.Along with the short code, phone number 01555121121 and website btrc@btrc.gov.bd was also available to lodge complain.last_img read more

Kutubdia biodiversity in danger

first_imgHere was the embankment that had saved Kutubdia from different cyclonic stroms over the years. Photo: Jewel SheelBoth local and foreign investors are keen to set up industries in Kutubdia island while the government also has similar plans. However, environmentalists warn unplanned growth of industries may destroy the environment and biodiversity of the island.Coastal islands like Maheskhali, Kutubdia, Sonadia and St Martin’s are sanctuaries for amphibians and aquatic animals. There are four to five species of dolphins and two species of tortoise that are on the verge of extinction.Director general of the Department of Environment (DoE), AKM Rafique Ahammed, told Prothom Alo, “Those who want to set up industries in the island have to get an approval. If any of the industries poses a risk to the environment, it has to carry out Environment Impact Assessment (EIA).”According to Petrobangla, local company Beximco has sought 700 acres of land to the power, energy and mineral resources ministry. Beximco in its website said the island would be its centre of investment for the energy sector.Bangladesh Economic Zone Authority (BEZA) also wants to establish an economic zone in the island.Two Indian companies dealing with Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) have shown their interest to set up terminals in Kutubdia as well, as did another Indonesian company.Petrobangla officials said investors in the energy sector are also showing interest in Kutubdia.The government is constructing a sea port at Matharbari. Once it is done, large vessels carrying heavy machinery will be able to berth at the Matarbari seaport and it would be a suitable place to establish an LNG terminal. Kutubdia is four kilometers away from Matarbari. This will facilitate bringing in raw materials and LNG containers.Kutubdia upazila chairman Faridul Islam Chowdhury said there is no electricity in the area and most of the embankments are damaged. After the cyclonic storm in 1991, many people left Kutubdia. Some are still leaving, too.He said the prime minister had pledged that electricity will be available by 2020.Local people get employment opportunities if industries are set up, he further said, arguing that they will not leave.Shahera Begum lives in a hut near Kutubdia island. While talking to this correspondent on 27 December 2018, she had said her house would be protected due to the embankment despite the fury of the sea.After the cyclonic storm Fani had hit the island on 4 May, a fisherman of the island said a portion of the embankment was engulfed by the sea. However, Shahera’s cottage survived. But it is now at risk of erosion.A big portion of Kutubdia island was engulfed by the Bay of Bengal and the embankments were damaged by the storms one after another. The residents of the island are leaving their ancestral houses, crop fields and fish enclosures. Where they are settling anew, they are naming the place ‘Kutubdiapara’.According to the local administration, these people are settling at Cox’s Bazar Sadar, Maheskhali, Ramu, Chakaria, Dulahazara and Kekua, Khagrachhari, Bandarban, Rangamati Sadar and Chattogram Sadar and Anwara upazila.The lighthouse which had been giving light to sailors since 1848 it broke down during the cyclone of 1991. The administration did not take any steps to this end. People have now started living in the area named ‘Lighthousepara’.Life and riskOne has to go to Kutubdia from Magnama Ghat of Pekua Upazila of Cox’s Bazar by trawler. There is a small bazaar one kilometre away from the ghat. Fish and salt are sold in the market here. One can see the towers of windmills few kilometres later.There is no boundary around the power plants set up on nearly eight acres of land. The security system is not up to the standard while electricity supply is not more than one megawatt. A total of 350 families receive electricity for seven to eight hours a day. There is also a solar and a diesel-powered power station. Only 12 per cent of the islanders get electricity.There have been bumper production of both salt and rice this year. More than 700 tonnes of salt were produced in about 7,000 acres of land. The farmers are, however, worried for its low price. Again, the paddy invented for salty lands by the scientists had a good yield. But the rice prices are also low.Four researchers from two US universities published a research report on geographical changes in Kutubdia in 2017. The study says the size of the island was 77 square kilometres in 1972, but it shrunk to 68 square kilometres in 2013.Meanwhile, a study carried out by the Center for Environmental and Geographic Information Services (CEGIS), a government agency, says the total area of Kutubdia island was about 100 square kilometres in 1840. As many as 40 square kilometres of the lands were reduced due to erosion. Upazila administration data also give similar impression.Rezaul Karim Chowdhury, executive director of Coast Trust, an organisation working on coastal development, said due to erosion and lack of damns the island and the residents’ lives are at stake.”Scattered plans will not help to protect this island. We need an inclusive plan. The problem will increase if the residents are displaced,” he added.As per the upazila administration data, there was a 40-kilometre embankment around the island. Half of the damn collapsed in the 1991 cyclone. It was reduced to eight kilometres by the onslaught of the cyclone Sidr, Aila, Roanu, Mahasen and the latest Fani. As a result, a large part of the island goes under water in regular tide.Upazila Nirbahi Officer (UNO) Dipak Kumar Roy said he has requested the Water Development Board to repair the damn as soon as possible.The water level of the sea is very high at the moment. It should be kept in mind while repairing the embankments, he added.Secretary to the Ministry of Water Resources, Kabir Bin Anwar, said the ministry had decided to repair and rebuild the damns.Also, mangrove forests will be created to protect the coast as the Ministry of Forest and Environment and the directorate will remain responsible to protect the biodiversity of the island.According to Kutubdia upazila administration, every year there is erosion in different places of the island in normal tide. Two years ago the island’s population was about 300,000. It is less than half now.Another 5,000 people have been left vulnerable due to cyclone Fani, he added.Ishtiaq Uddin Ahmed, former country director for the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN), stressed the need for rehabilitating the residents of the island.”Local residents must be protected before any project is implemented there and erosion must be stopped, too,” he said.”Otherwise, being one of the vital source of salt and fishes, the island, its inhabitants and the proposed investment will be in danger,” he observed.”Coastal islands like Kutubdia protect the country from the initial strike of storm surge. Before upgrading it to an industrial area, it’s overall wellbeing has to be kept in mind,” Inshtiaq further said.*This report, originally published in Prothom Alo’s print edition, has been rewritten in English by Rabiul Islam and Farjana Liakat.last_img read more

Google Increases User Privacy Controls

first_img Growing a business sometimes requires thinking outside the box. This story originally appeared on Reuters 2 min read June 1, 2015 Free Webinar | Sept. 9: The Entrepreneur’s Playbook for Going Global Register Now » Google increased privacy controls for users and rolled out a website on Monday that answers frequently asked questions in response to increasing concern over how the search giant collects and uses its massive amounts of data.Users have been able to control certain privacy settings for months or years, such as whether to save web browser and location history, which is also used in targeted advertising.But managing the controls is confusing and time consuming because the settings are in various places across the web that are not always easy to find.Now users will be able to use My Account, which provides a privacy checkup and security checkup, or lists where people can check off which data they want to be public and private.Google’s new website answers frequently asked questions, such as whether the company sells personal data and what information is given to advertisers.”We knew that users find privacy and security really mysterious so we wanted to make it very approachable,” said Guemmy Kim, product manager for account controls and settings.Data control has become increasingly important to users in recent years as more day-to-day activity has moved to the Internet.In 2013, Edward Snowden leaked classified documents that showed the U.S. National Security Agency was engaging in mass collection of phone records, placing companies that have enormous amounts of data, such as Google, Facebook and Apple, under increasing scrutiny.Only 9 percent of people in a recent Pew survey felt they had a “lot” of control over their data.Monday’s rollout comes on the heels of newly increased app permissions for Android, which Google announced at its annual developer’s conference last week. The new system mirrors the app permissions on Apple’s iPhones, which do not allow apps to automatically access numerous types of data, such as location or phone contacts.(Reporting By Yasmeen Abutaleb; Editing by Michael Perry)last_img read more