0Shares0000Manchester United’s Henrikh Mkhitaryan (L), pictured in October 2017, is expected to start against Brighton on Saturday after being consigned to the bench by his disappointed coach © AFP/File / FRANCISCO LEONGMANCHESTER, United Kingdom, Nov 25 – Jose Mourinho has offered a scathing analysis of Henrikh Mkhitaryan’s drop in form as the Manchester United manager explained why the midfielder has been exiled from his squad recently.The Armenian is expected to be recalled to the matchday squad for Saturday’s Premier League game with Brighton after being out of contention altogether for the past two games. Mkhitaryan last started for United, and turned in a lacklustre display, in the defeat against Chelsea at the start of the month and, Mourinho explained, that was the final straw for the manager.“I was not happy with his last performances,” said Mourinho. “And I am not talking about one or two. I am talking about three, four or five. He started this season very well and after that, step by step, he was disappearing.“His performance level — in terms of goalscoring, assists, high pressing, receiving the ball high up the pitch, bringing the team with him as a number 10 — were decreasing step by step.“And there was a time that was enough. The others, they work to have a chance. Everybody works to have a chance so it’s as simple as that.”Mkhitaryan has endured a torrid time at Old Trafford since his arrival in a £26 million ($35 million, 29 million euros) deal from Borussia Dortmund in 2016.He found himself banished from Mourinho’s league line-up for well over two months early last season after a dismal display in their 2-1 derby defeat to City.But he appeared to have won over his biggest critic — Mourinho — with some impressive performances as United won the Europa League and clinched Champions League football.– Forwards left out –Mkhitaryan has not been the only creative or attacking player to come in for criticism from the United manager, with Juan Mata, Anthony Martial, Jesse Lingard and others left out at various times due to dips in form.And Mourinho believes that despite trailing only neighbours City in the Premier League goalscoring charts, his players are not scoring enough, with French international Martial singled out as an example of a player who has responded well to being left out.“The team that excites me is the team that, after five chances, is winning 4-0,” he said. “That’s the team that excites me.“I think we had an improvement with Martial, scoring more goals than last season, that is why he’s playing more minutes.”Ultimately, the United manager also believes that the healthy size of his squad, and the competition for places, is good news even if it means he will face questions about players being left out.“All positions are open,” he said. “The last couple of matches Mkhitaryan was out and other players had the opportunity to play that normally Mkhitaryan has.”“There are only 11 plus seven (substitutes),” he added. “When you have a chance and the performance is not what I expect, it’s normal. You have to perform.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)
Share your voice Retail site Giztop has already published rumored specs for the forthcoming OnePlus 7 that include a 6.5-inch AMOLED screen, a Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 processor, rear triple cameras, a 16-megapixel pop-up selfie camera, a 4,000-mAh battery and Oxygen OS 9 base running on Android 9.0 Pie. Starting at $569 (about £440 or AU$800), the phone will also come with 128GB of storage that can be expanded to 256GB by adding a microSD card, according to the listing. OnePlus 7 has a ‘faster’ screen. Will you care? Now playing: Watch this: Comment The company’s next flagship is expected this spring, possibly as early as May 14. The Verge suggests that although the OnePlus 7 Pro will support 5G, the company is downplaying it, given the near-term limits of the next generation network. Previously, OnePlus had said that it would be among the first to have 5G in a phone — but that the device would not come to the US. The company did not immediately respond to a request to comment. Read more: Everything we know so far about the OnePlus 7 Shenzhen-based OnePlus originally captured a following by making phones with many of the premium features found on Apple and Samsung’s premium phones and selling them for hundreds less. Since then, it’s tweaked that strategy: OnePlus now has one of the highest increases in cost from model to model. Excited to share the next product from OnePlus will unleash a new era of Fast and Smooth. Especially Smooth! Smooth is more challenging than Fast – a true test of hardware and software.The new product is just beautiful – I can’t wait for you to see it! 😬✨ pic.twitter.com/yPU9sEbeIv— Pete Lau (@petelau2007) April 17, 2019 Phones 1 OnePlus Tags A purported photo of the OnePlus 7 showing a pop-up camera. Giztop Editors’ Note, May 14, 2019: CNET’s OnePlus 7 Pro review is here. Read more about the new phone from OnePlus. OnePlus is reportedly planning to introduce a new premium phone in 2019 that supports 5G and features new display technology. Called the OnePlus 7 Pro, the phone will have a display that’s “super smooth and very crisp,” OnePlus CEO Pete Lau told The Verge. The report speculates that the display may support a 90Hz refresh rate that’s about 33 percent faster than most other smartphones. The faster refresh rate may have been foreshadowed by Lau in a tweet from last week: 1:38
Smoke billowing from the site of a downed Sukhoi-25 fighter jet in the northwest province of Idlib in Syria. Rebel fighters shot down a Russian plane over Syria’s northwest Idlib province and captured its pilot. Photo: AFPA Russian pilot was killed Saturday in fighting with Islamists after his warplane was downed over northwest Syria, Russia’s defence ministry and a monitor said.Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS), a powerful jihadist-dominated alliance said, on an affiliated media channel it had shot down the plane but made no mention of the pilot.“We were able to bring down the Russian warplane with a shoulder-fired missile above Saraqib in Idlib this afternoon,” said Mahmoud al-Turkmani who, according to the statement, heads HTS’s “air defence brigade.”He said the attack was in retaliation for a ferocious bombing campaign by Russian warplanes over Idlib.HTS, which is dominated by Al-Qaeda’s former affiliate in Syria, controls Idlib and has sought to fight back a ferocious Russian-backed assault by Syrian government troops.An AFP correspondent who arrived at the crash site on Saturday saw what appeared to be the charred remains of the plane, including a wing with a red star still visible.Firefighters arrived to put out flames that had been spewing dark smoke into the wintry Syrian sky.The Russian defence ministry confirmed that the Su-25 aircraft was shot down over Idlib province and said the pilot was killed “in fighting against terrorists.”‘Killed fighting’“A Russian Su-25 aircraft crashed during a flight over the Idlib de-escalation zone. The pilot had enough time to announce he had ejected into the zone,” the defence ministry said.“The pilot was killed in fighting against terrorists,” it said, quoted by Russian agencies.It added that “according to preliminary reports, the plane was shot down by a portable anti-aircraft missile system.”The US State Department said it was “deeply concerned” at reports of such a weapon being used.Spokeswoman Heather Nauert told AFP the solution is a return to United Nations-led talks in Geneva and for “Russia to live up to its commitments in that regards.”Washington has more than 2,000 troops inside Syria working with anti-Jihadist Kurdish and Arab fighters, and flies air strikes against the Islamists.The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the jet was downed near the town of Saraqib in Idlib and the pilot parachuted to the ground.He was killed clashing with rebels as they tried to take him hostage, said the Britain-based Observatory.“There have been dozens of Russian air strikes in the area over the past 24 hours. This plane was also carrying out raids there,” said Abdel Rahman.The Observatory said 20 people, including eight children, were killed on Saturday during a bombardment on Saraqib and surrounding villages.Syria’s uprising broke out in 2011 with protests against Assad’s rule but has since morphed into a complex war drawing in global powers.Moscow began conducting air strikes in Syria in September 2015, and its intervention has swung the nearly seven-year conflict firmly in the favour of its ally in Damascus.Opposition factions have shot down Syrian regime planes in the past, but the downing of Russian aircraft is much rarer.Turkey shot down a Russian warplane in November 2015, leading to the worst crisis in ties between the two countries since the end of the Cold WarIn August 2016, a Russian military helicopter was shot down over Syria, killing all five people on board.Deadly fire on Turkish tankRussia has been spearheading a more than year-long diplomatic push to try to freeze the fighting in coordination with fellow regime ally Iran and rebel backer Turkey.Ankara has supported an array of rebel groups to fight Syria’s government, the Islamic State jihadist group, and Kurdish militia that it has blacklisted as “terrorists.”On January 20, Turkey and allied rebel fighters began an offensive on the Syrian enclave of Afrin, held by the Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG).Seven Turkish soldiers were killed on Saturday as part of the assault, including five who died in a single attack on a tank, the Turkish army said.The losses mark the highest toll in a single day for the Turkish army in operation “Olive Branch.”The Observatory has also counted 104 allied rebels and 102 YPG fighters killed since the offensive began, as well as 68 civilians.Ankara has denied targeting civilians as part of its Afrin offensive.Mourners on Saturday gathered in Afrin to commemorate victims of the operation, including female fighter Barin Kobani whose badly mutilated body appeared in a shocking video earlier this week.The footage sparked accusations by her family and Kurdish officials that she was “defiled” by Turkish-backed rebels.The opposition’s government-in-exile said Saturday it had opened an investigation into the matter.Thousands of people protested on Saturday in France against Turkey’s operation “Olive Branch,” gathering in Strasbourg and Paris to condemn the assault.
LIHUE, Hawaii — Dozens of people are stranded at a Red Cross shelter on Kauai after a storm dropped over 2 feet of rain, causing massive flooding and grounding rescue helicopters.Hawaii Gov. David Ige issued an emergency proclamation for the island where heavy rainfall damaged or flooded dozens of homes in Hanalei, Wainiha, Haena and Anahola.About 40 people – mostly tourists – were stranded Sunday at Hanalei Elementary School, where the American Red Cross had opened an evacuation shelter. They briefly ran out of food and water.Coralie Chun Matayoshi, chief executive officer of the Red Cross in Hawaii, said the county’s Department of Parks and Recreation offered to deliver food to the evacuees by personal watercraft, but a nearby business was also dealing with flooding and unable to provide the supplies to be delivered. The Hawaii Guard offered to deliver food by air, but the weather kept the helicopters grounded.Officials will continue rescue efforts when the weather improves.More news: Venice to ban cruise ships from city centre starting next monthThe Kauai Fire Department was co-ordinating with the Coast Guard and the Honolulu Fire Department to provide air and search and rescue operations on the North Shore.The National Weather Service recorded almost 27 inches (68 centimetres) of rainfall in a 24-hour period in Hanalei.Kauai County spokeswoman Sarah Blane said county officials had to call in off-duty firefighters, police officers and lifeguards Saturday night to rescue about a half-dozen people who were trapped by rising floodwaters in Hanalei.The American Red Cross opened evacuation shelters at Kapaa Middle School, the Church of the Pacific in Princeville and at the elementary school.There were no immediate reports of injuries. Tags: Hawaii, Travel Alert Monday, April 16, 2018 Share Severe rainfall forces dozens of tourists into evacuation shelter in Kauai << Previous PostNext Post >> Source: The Associated Press
Travelweek Group Posted by Tags: Holiday, Vacation Where’s the space? Time is running out for late December bookings This story originally ran in the Dec 6, 2018 issue of Travelweek magazine. To get Travelweek delivered to your agency for free, subscribe here.TORONTO — A quick check with several of the major ITC tour operators confirms that space is getting tight for the ever-popular Christmas break, but there are still good pockets of availability in several top sun destinations.Agents making all of these bookings might be ready for a break themselves, especially if they’re in Atlantic Canada, where a recent winter storm left 300,000 without electricity. Add to that the extended cold snap in the western Prairies and an early taste of winter weather in Ontario and Quebec complete with grey skies, wind chill and snow, and most Canadians are already weary of winter, and it hasn’t even officially started it.The long-range outlook for the 2018-2019 winter season across Canada divides the country into thirds: above-average temperatures for Alberta and B.C., normal temps for Saskatchewan, Manitoba and northwestern Ontario, and – sorry – below-average temps for southwestern Ontario, Quebec and Atlantic Canada.Meanwhile the short-range outlook, for last-minute late December winter Sun bookings at least, is hot and getting hotter. “The availability for popular dates and hotels is starting to be limited,” says Air Canada Vacations spokesperson Barbara Mengue Mbo. “In destinations like Saint Lucia, Antigua, Grenada, Jamaica, Cancun, Punta Cana, Puerto Vallarta, inventories are getting tight. We recommend not to wait and book now before it is gone.”There are still good rates and availability for Cuba destinations in late December, she adds, for any clients looking for deep pockets of inventory where they can expect a good choice of room categories.Clients planning the ‘perfect’ holiday season getaway often have high expectations but as agents know, the later they book, the narrower the options get. Transat spokesperson Debbie Cabana says for last-minute getaways, clients “need to be flexible on mostly everything: arrival and departure dates, hotel and destination.”She adds: “What we always recommend for the peak periods of the year, like the Christmas break, is that clients who have a very specific idea of where they want to go should book quickly, because it’s a very popular period for South getaways, specifically around the New Year. And because of the great demand, hotel prices are usually at their highest during that time, so the whole idea of last-minute getaways can sometimes be tricky.”Transat’s daily flights to Punta Cana make for a lot of choice and flexibility in one of the D.R.’s most popular destinations. Cabana also notes that Cuba “is making a strong comeback after a more difficult season last year due to hurricanes”, and is always a great choice. “Finally, travellers shouldn’t forget about South and Central America, which are a favourite among our clients visiting friends and families. These destinations, which are getting more and more popular, are often great options to escape, because they’re a little further down South. This almost guarantees very warm weather during the Christmas break.”Bookings have been getting closer and closer in over the years, not just for the holidays but year-round, even with all the EBBs out there to incentive earlier bookings. The growing popularity of Black Friday promotions in Canada gave bookings for this winter and further out a much-needed kick start. Air Canada Vacations saw its highest-ever one-day sales volume on Nov. 23 – Black Friday – with a 300%+ increase over a typical day. Black Friday 2018 represented the highest single-day sales in the company’s 38-year history. Bookings came in for everything from beach destinations in the Caribbean and Mexico, to city breaks in Canada, the U.S. and Europe.Meanwhile Sunwing is expanding its flight network to keep up with demand from southwestern Ontario, with the launch of new service from Detroit, Michigan for the first time ever.Starting Jan. 20, 2019 and running until April 22, 2019 inclusive from Detroit Metropolitan Airport, the new flights will operate on Sundays to Punta Cana, and twice-weekly on Mondays and Fridays to Montego Bay. Travellers can book select vacation packages to both Sun destinations.“We are excited to be offering Canadians more convenient ways to travel south this winter with the addition of the new departure airport in Detroit, Michigan. This route is a great addition to the current weekly flight service out of London and Windsor and offers travellers in Southwestern Ontario a wider selection of vacation options,” says Andrew Dawson, President of Tour Operations for Sunwing Travel Group. For agents looking for space for clients for late December getaways, Sunwing is recommending both Punta Cana and Cancun. Suggested resorts include Royalton Riviera Cancun Resort and Spa, Royalton Blue Waters in Jamaica, Royalton White Sands Montego Bay, Royalton Negril Resort and Spa and Grand Memories Splash in the D.R. Wednesday, December 12, 2018 Share << Previous PostNext Post >>