SOLANA BEACH (KUSI) – A man was arrested Thursday after entering a North County bank, telling everyone inside to get on the floor, announcing that he was robbing the premises and directing workers to make a 911 call to report the crime-in-process.The odd robbery scare at the Wells Fargo branch office in the 200 block of Santa Helena in Solana Beach began just after 9 a.m., according to sheriff’s officials.The perpetrator — a thin, roughly 6-foot man who appeared to be in his 30s, wearing a black hooded jacket with the cowl pulled up over his head — entered the bank minutes after it opened and promptly made his series of demands, Lt. Karla Menzies said. He issued no threats of violence and displayed no weapons during the takeover, the lieutenant said.When deputies arrived a short time later, they found the self- described robber inside with his hands in the air, Menzies said. The man, whose name was not immediately available, surrendered without incident and was taken to Vista Detention Center to be booked on suspicion of attempted robbery.The motivation for the suspect’s actions was unclear. KUSI Newsroom, KUSI Newsroom Man arrested in bizarre bank takeover Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter Posted: January 3, 2019 January 3, 2019
Supporters of Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi celebrate in Cairo’s Tahrir square following his re-election for a second term on Monday. Photo: AFPEgyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi swept to a second term with 97 per cent of valid votes, official results showed Monday, dominating an election last week that saw him face no serious rivals.The head of the election authority Lasheen Ibrahim said at a press conference that turnout was 41.05 per cent of the almost 60 million registered voters, down from the 2014 vote that saw Sisi claim the presidency.Ibrahim said 92.73 per cent of the votes were valid from the roughly 24 million cast, while almost two million ballots were spoiled.Sisi’s sole rival and an erstwhile supporter, Moussa Mostafa Moussa, won 2.92 per cent of the valid votes, Ibrahim said.Moussa entered the election at the very last moment after first leading a re-election campaign for Sisi, saving the vote from having just one candidate.Sisi’s serious contenders either withdrew, were sidelined or were detained.In a brief victory speech broadcast Monday evening on state television, Sisi sent “greetings, appreciation, and respect” to Egyptians.He promised “to continue my oath to be loyal in my work, not sparing any effort in order to advance our nation.”Sisi directed “thanks and appreciation to Moussa Mostafa Moussa who lead an honest and civilised competition.”As for Moussa, he said at a press conference that “the most important thing is that Egypt has won.”Trump congratulationsHundreds of supporters took to the streets in Cairo and other cities, waving the Egyptian flag and singing patriotic songs to celebrate Sisi winning another four years in power.US President Donald Trump “congratulated” Sisi on his victory in a telephone call, the White House said in a statement that did not mention any worries over the fairness of the vote.“The two leaders affirmed the strategic partnership between the United States and Egypt, and noted that they look forward to advancing this partnership and addressing common challenges,” it said.Earlier the State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said the US “will continue to work to advance our shared objectives” with Egypt, despite its concerns over political freedom.But Nauert added: “We have noted reports of constraints on freedoms of expression and association in the run-up to the elections.”Four Egyptian rights groups, including the Cairo Institute for Human Rights Studies and the Nadeem Center for the Rehabilitation of Victims of Violence, denounced the electoral process in a statement late on Monday.The election commission “lost its political legitimacy by watching the electoral process as it transformed into a debacle beleaguered by the worst political and security thuggery ever witnessed in an Egyptian election since 1952,” they said.Sisi, who as army chief ousted Egypt’s first freely elected president Islamist Mohamed Morsi after mass street protests in 2013, won his first term in 2014 with 96.9 per cent of valid votes.Turnout of 47 percent in that year’s election was sharply higher than this year’s 41 per cent despite official appeals for voters to fulfil their patriotic duty.Election chief Ibrahim was effusive about the vote regardless of the perceived lack of competition and the low attendance.“These are momentous moments for this nation…which will be written in letters of light, under the title: battle for the love of Egypt,” Ibrahim said as he announced the results.“The entire world heard your chants for the love of Egypt.”Opposition boycottPeople who boycotted the election and cannot show a good reason for missing the vote could face a fine of up to 500 Egyptian pounds (22 euros), the electoral commission has warned.Opposition groups had called for a boycott of last week’s vote which they labelled a facade.There were no presidential debates and Sisi himself did not appear at any official campaign events, although he spoke at a number of ceremonies.In an interview days ahead of the vote, Sisi said he wished there were more candidates, denying any role in sidelining his rivals.Morsi’s removal in 2013 ushered in a deadly crackdown that killed and jailed hundreds of Islamists.The initial crackdown on the ousted leader’s supporters expanded to include liberal and leftist secular activistsA jihadist insurgency since has killed hundreds of policemen and civilians.In February Sisi ordered the armed forces launched their most comprehensive campaign yet to end the five-year-old jihadist insurgency.In the wake of his election success, the Egyptian armed forces congratulated Sisi in a statement, “affirming that it will always stand behind its wise leadership.”Sisi has embarked on tough economic reforms that have been welcomed by foreign investors but dented his standing at home, even though his popularity remains high.Enjoying near-unanimous media support, Sisi is seen by many Egytians as the right man to lead the country after years of political, security and economic turmoil that followed the ouster of leader Hosni Mubarak in 2011.
Nicole Kidman says she loves playing the villain in movies because as a child, she was ‘happiest’ pretending to be a villain. ‘I was the kid who loved the wicked witch in ‘The Wizard of Oz’. So, of course, I grew up to be the girl who wants to play the villain in a movie,’ she said.
Kolkata: The West Bengal Joint Entrance Examinations Board (WBJEEB) on Tuesday kicked off e-counselling for admission to four-year degree level engineering and technology, four-year degree level pharmacy, five-year degree level architecture and for all degree level courses in Jadavpur University. The total number of seats available for admission as per website of the West Bengal Joint Entrance Examinations Board is approximately more than 30,000. Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: MamataA detailed notification regarding eligibility and other criteria for e-counseling and admission has already been put up in the website of the Board. The results of West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination was declared on May 20 and 80,580 students are eligible to take part in the couselling. The total number of seats has been created by the state Higher Education department with feedback from all institutions both government and private. Last year, the total number of seats available for admission was around 34,000. The online choice filling of preferred subjects and institutions will continue till June 30. Also Read – Lightning kills 8, injures 16 in stateThe locking will be done at 12 pm on June 30 and the board will publish the first list of seat allotment on July 3. If a student is satisfied with his college and seat allotment he/ she can go to any of the 22 reporting centres across the state and can lock his/ her seat after furnishing documents, payment of admission fees and other formalities. If a candidate is dissatisfied with seat allotment he/ she will have to inform the reporting centre and opt for the second round counselling. The results of second round counseling will be notified on July 9. If a candidate is still not happy with the seat allotment he will be eligible for third which is the last round of counseling. The results of third round seat allotment will be published on July 13. “The dates for physical reporting and admission at finally allotted institutes will be held till July 4 to 20 and the admission process will close on July 20,” said registrar of West Bengal Joint Entrance Examinations Board Dibyendu Kar. Candidates have been advised to go through the notifications of the board before opting for counseling and other formalities for admission which has been clearly notified by the Board. Malayendu Saha, president of WBJEEB said that the board wants all institutions to commence classes by August 1. The majority of institutions available for admission on the basis of results of state Joint Entrance Examination in Bengal is affiliated to Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Technology(MAKAUT). The total number of institutions under MAKAUT is 215 among which 90 offers pure engineering. It may be mentioned that the All India Council of Technical Education has recently denied affiliation to around 2,700 engineering colleges across the country as several seats in these colleges were lying vacant for the last few years.
Yesterday, Reddit raised $300 million in new Series D funding from investors led by China’s Tencent. The company now values at $3 billion, in the lines of tech giants like Google and Facebook. Until now, Reddit has received $550 million in total funding. Other investors include Sequoia, Fidelity, Andreessen Horowitz, Quiet Capital, VY and Snoop Dogg. Reddit CEO Steve Huffman, in an interview with CNBC said, “One of the things that’s been very important to us is that we can now assure advertisers that you are going to have a positive experience on Reddit and potentially even a new experience, a new way of connecting with customers.” The investment makes sense because video game is one of the more popular categories at Reddit, and Tencent invests a lot in video game makers. Currently, Tencent owns 40 percent of “Fortnite” creator Epic Games. “They are investors in lots of video games companies,” Huffman said. “And video games are one category that’s really popular on Reddit.” With this investment round, Huffman said he hopes to compete in online advertising with Facebook and Google. “When we are talking about competing for ad dollars, of course, we are talking about Facebook and Google, who take up the vast majority of ad spend.” Not all is good however, as some Redditors are already protesting the funding by Tencent, considering it is Chinese, and Reddit is blocked in China, for allowing users to have a free, unedited speech. People are also speculating how China might have a chance to take over the US in the cold war. A comment on Hacker news reads, “Tencent, a Chinese firm has meaningful ownership of American youth. 12% Snap 7.5% Spotify 40% Epic Games 100% Riot Games 100% Supercell 5% Reddit. Hollywood has also been moving in this direction, with a lot of Chinese investment in the studios, and blockbusters adding special scenes with Chinese actors and locations. What does it mean for America when it’s no longer the owner or creator of culture? It’s historically one of our largest (and most important) exports. I’m not sure if that claim to fame is a net positive for the world, but the changing of this guard will certainly have a local impact.” Some other users expressed concerns, if this move may slowly start to repress anti-China content on Reddit. “The only issue I can see from ownership is if they start to censor the platform. I doubt they’ll do any overt censoring (eg. “no talking about what happened at Tiananmen Square in 1989), but I wouldn’t be surprised if they do subtle manipulation like silently deemphasizing anti-China content, or emphasizing anti-western content (eg. infighting, failure of western democracy). The latter probably would even be good for the site (in terms of engagement) as outrage drive clicks.”, reads a comment on Hacker News. Read Next Reddit posts an update to the FireEye’s report on suspected Iranian influence operation Reddit takes stands against the EU copyright directives; greets EU redditors with ‘warning box’ What the US-China tech and AI arms race means for the world – Frederick Kempe at Davos 2019.
What are the most popular summer destinations? Contiki has the full list Wednesday, May 22, 2019 Posted by Tags: Contiki, Summer Travelweek Group TORONTO — Contiki has revealed the top seven places young Canadians will be heading off to this coming summer, from the Greek Islands and the very ends of Africa, to the Emerald Isle and sun-soaked Thailand.GREEK ISLANDSThese sun-kissed islands topped the list, with many millennials planning an island-hopping adventure to explore the region’s mythical tales, stunning streets, pristine waters and sun-bleached ruins. From getting lost in the narrow streets of Mykonos to eating gyros while watching the world-famous sunset in Oia, clients are guaranteed an unforgettable summer getaway.AFRICAThere are plenty of unforgettable moments to be had while visiting Africa. Young clients can spot lions, leopards, rhinos, elephants and Cape buffalo (aka. The ‘Big 5’) at Kruger National Park in South Africa, or embark on a hot air balloon safari over the Masai Mara region of Kenya. Also not to be missed is meeting East African gorillas in Uganda, climbing Mount Kilimanjaro and ‘glamping’ under the sparkling skies of the Serengeti in Tanzania.More news: CIE Tours launches first-ever River Cruise CollectionIRELANDIreland has a plethora of great scenery, lively street festivals, whiskey and incredible food for young Canadians to enjoy during their summer. The Emerald Isle is filled with myths, legends and land of rolling greens, not to mention Game of Thrones-esque castles.ITALYFilled with irresistible food, amazing architecture, incredible art and stunning scenery, Italy never fails to impress visitors. Young Canadians can spend their summers in the art-filled cities of Rome, Venice and Florence, the wine region of Tuscany as well as Cinque Terre, Milan and Lake Como, each offering an abundance of local experiences.THAILANDThailand has become a favourite among young Canadians with many options for exploration. Whether it’s sipping sunset cocktails on beautiful Railay Beach, hunting for souvenirs at the Chiang Mai night bazaar, hitting Bangkok bars, browsing the Floating Market or becoming spiritual at Wat Arun, the adventures are endless when voyaging in this country. Contiki’s Island Hopping tours allow beachgoers the chance to sun-and-see it all.More news: Direct Travel names Smith as Senior VP, Leisure Marketing, North AmericaSPAINSpain is home to inspiring architecture, mouth-watering food, and breathtaking beaches and countryside sights. Must-see stops include Barcelona and Seville, as well as the sun-soaked La Concha beach in San Sebastiàn.PERUPeru has an abundance of landmarks, ranging from the heights of the Andes to the depths of Canyon de Colca. Any Peru Panorama trek will be amazingly varied, whether clients ‘travel back in time’ at the Chachapoyan site of Kuelap, hit up a few Cusco restaurants or take on the Inca trail at Machu Picchu head on.For more information on Contiki’s adventures go to contiki.com. Share << Previous PostNext Post >>