No sooner was Burgess back from eight weeks out with injury than he rattled Cronulla’s Matt Moylan with what has been deemed a grade-two, careless high tackle during Saturday’s limp 39-28 loss to the Sharks.If the fiery Englishman takes an early guilty plea he’ll miss next Sunday’s clash with the Storm, while he faces a two-game ban if he contests the charge and is found guilty.Three years ago Bennett delivered a withering public spray to Burgess for giving away too many penalties during an England test loss to Australia.And Bennett didn’t try to hide his disappointment after Saturday night’s match.”I’m not happy about that, Sam’s been out for a number of weeks and it’s time for him to come back and lead from the front and stay within the rules of the game,” Bennett said.”He’ll have to get that off his conscience. It’s not what we needed at the time, there was no reason for it.”Burgess’s woeful disciplinary history has led to him missing 10 games since he came into the NRL in 2010.Before going in for shoulder surgery, Burgess was considered by many to be lucky to avoid a ban for his part in an ugly brawl in round 13 against Newcastle.He was accused by Knights skipper Mitchell Pearce of a “dog shot” in the aftermath of the incident.He was charged with contrary conduct and escaped with a $1350 ($NZ1404) fine but he also has the spectre of loading hanging over his head for two suspensions last year for a careless high tackle and dangerous contact.”His aggression is important, I want them all to play with aggression,” Bennett said.”But there are rules and we need to stay within those parameters.”Meanwhile, Penrith playmaker James Maloney is poised to miss next weekend’s big clash with Cronulla after being slapped with a grade one tripping charge.Maloney was placed on report after catching Canterbury’s Jeremy Marshall-King in the fourth minute of the Bulldogs’ shock 16-8 win over the Panthers.With carry-over points added, Maloney would serve a one-game ban even with an early guilty plea and the only way he can face the Sharks would be if he successfully beats the charge.
The Paynesville City Corporation (PCC) is expected to benefit from a grant of US$164 million earmarked for 100 cities around the world.This was disclosed yesterday by PCC Mayor Cyvette M. Gibson, who said that the grant money is being provided by the Rockefeller Foundation (RF) through its 100 Resilient Cities Program.The 100RCs, pioneered by the RF, now enables PCC to join a network aimed at building urban resilience. As a member of the 100RCs, Paynesville will gain access to tools, funding, technical expertise and other resources to build resilience to the challenges of the 21st Century. Addressing a news conference, Mayor Gibson said entrance into this network will help her city fight the resilience challenges of infrastructure failure, flooding, water management issues, poor health infrastructure and disease outbreak.“Paynesville’s selection to join the 100 Resilient Cities network is not only a significant honor, it will give Paynesville the tools to support a better Paynesville today, tomorrow and for future generations to come. Our application recognized Paynesville’s commitment to better health infrastructure, proper water management, prevention of rainfall flooding and disease control.” Ms. Gibson said. “As a new member of 100RCs, we can work with the best in the private, government and non-profit sectors in developing and sharing tools to plan and respond to resilience challenges ahead.”Even though she admitted that she does not know at the moment how much will be given her city, she, however, disclosed that it would be intended for use between two to five years.Mayor Gibson disclosed that in months ahead, Paynesville will be eligible to receive grant funding to hire a Chief Resilient Officer, who will be tasked to lead the citywide resilience-building process and engage stakeholders from across different government agencies, public and private sectors and various communities to incorporate diverse perspectives and knowledge. “Paynesville will also receive technical support to develop a resilience strategy that reflects the city’s distinct needs and the support and services as we work towards implanting that strategy,” she added.She also stated that Mr. Michael Berkowitz, RF’s president of the 100RCs program, is expected to shortly pay a visit to Liberia.According to a PCC release, Mr. Berkowitz said: “We selected Paynesville because of its leaders’ commitment to resilience building and the innovative and proactive way they have been thinking about challenges the city faces.”PCC was chosen from a list of over 325 applicants on the basis of their willingness, ability and need to become resilient in the face of future challenges. Ten other cities on the continent, including Lagos, Nairobi, Addis Ababa, Cape Town and Luxor in Egypt joined Paynesville in making the 100 RCs. Eight American cities including Washington D.C., Seattle, Atlanta and Honolulu made the list, while three Canadian cities joined Montreal on the list. In the UK, two cities joined three already-on-the-list cities to take the UK’s tally to five.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
1 West Ham boss Slaven Bilic has revealed Andy Carroll is set for up to six weeks out.The striker made only his seventh Premier League start of the season against Bournemouth on Tuesday night, but he limped out of the action after just 12 minutes suffering from a hamstring injury.And the 27-year-old, who has made only 41 appearances for the Hammers since moving to east London from Liverpool in 2012, is now facing another extended spell on the sidelines.Bilic said on Tuesday night he hoped Carroll would be missing for only a couple of weeks, but his worst fears have now been confirmed and he is likely to be without one of his main attacking weapons until early March.“He’s having a scan but it’s another one of those, four to six weeks,” said Bilic.“He’s a positive lad, but of course he is gutted for several reasons. He felt he was back and enjoying his football.“It’s not the end of the world, though. If everything goes well he will be back very soon so there is no reason to be negative.“If it goes as we expect then he will be back for a significant part of the season, the last 10-15 games, with enough time to make a huge impact on our season.”Bilic does, though, have some positive fitness news with winger Victor Moses available to face Newcastle on Saturday after six weeks out with a hamstring injury.Midfielder Cheikhou Kouyate and forward Mauro Zarate are also fit after missing the Bournemouth game. Andy Carroll limps out of West Ham’s match at Bournemouth