With the onset of rains, no fresh AES case has been reported in Muzaffarpur district on Sunday even as the health department cracked its whip on a doctor who was asked to report for duty in the brain fever-affected district, but failed to comply.Dr. Bhimsen Kumar, a senior resident doctor at the Patna Medical College Hospital, had been directed to report at the SKMCH Muzaffarpur by June 19.“He failed to do so and the department has taken a serious note of the lapse. He has been placed under suspension pending a departmental inquiry upon conclusion of which further action may be taken,” Principal Secretary, Health, Sanjay Kumar said. Meanwhile, Sri Krishna Medical College Hospital (SKMCH) superintendent, Sunil Kumar Shahi said “AES is known to strike when the summer heat is at its peak and the incidences plummet no sooner than rainfalls lash the area. The same is happening this time and no child has been admitted during the day so far with the complaint even though AES patients, who have been nursed back to recovery, are being discharged continuously.”The Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES) outbreak, which according to the state health department has affected about 20 out of the 40 districts in the State, has afflicted more than 600 children since June 1, killing close to 140. The high number of deaths this year has been mostly attributed to hypoglycemia.
After accusing organising committee (OC) chief Suresh Kalmadi and his aide Lalit Bhanot of creating hindrances in the probe, the investigating agencies now claim that some crucial documents which could throw light on the deals related to Commonwealth Games (CWG) have gone missing.Sources told Headlines Today that the contractual obligations and authorisation files related to the Queen’s Baton Relay are not available. They said that Gen Raj Kadiyan was bypassed on arrangements for the relay.The probe agencies fear that the absent documents could have either been destroyed or hidden.The revelation came during a series of searches carried out by a team of 20-30 sleuths at the OC office and its secretary general Lalit Bhanot’s residence in November. In order to get a grip on the investigation process, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) would approach sports ministry for the removal of Kalmadi and Bhanot.CBI Director A.P. Singh had earlier this month written to Union Cabinet Secretary K.M. Chandrashekar urging the immediate removal of Kalmadi and Bhanot from their posts in the OC.It was earlier reported in September that a crucial file containing information on Mahendroo’s record of service and details of his trips to the UK for the baton relay had gone missing from the OC office.A number of agencies — Central Vigilance Commission (CVC), Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG), Enforcement Directorate (ED) and CBI — are on the look out to nail the perpetrators who indulged in irregularities during the mega sporting event held in October 2010.advertisementThe CBI has so far filed three FIRs in connection with the alleged irregularities in CWG and searched the residences of OC director general V.K. Verma and Bhanot on November 30.While one case is related to a Rs 107-crore deal struck with a Swiss score keeping firm, the agency had registered two other FIRs for the contracting of AM Films for the Baton Relay ceremonies by the OC in London.The CBI had arrested OC’s joint director general T.S. Darbari and deputy director general Sanjay Mohindroo for their alleged complicity in these deals.
World number one tennis player Roger Federer has received an online death threat prior to a tournament in Shanghai.The director of Shanghai Masters championship, Yang Yibin, confirmed the threat to the Swiss player.An unknown blogger said he planned to assassinate Federer in his post on a popular Chinese website.The government agencies have been contacted to increase security around Federer and his family.He also posted a doctored image showing a decapitated Federer on his knees on a tennis court with a masked executioner dressed in black and holding an axe posing next to him.Police and other government agencies have been contacted to increase security around Federer and his family.Attacks on tennis players are rare, but in 1993 Monica Seles was stabbed by a deranged fan during a match in Hamburg. In the 2009 French Open final, a fan invaded the court and tried to put a beret on Federer before being tackled by security officials.