China intends to cut all greenhouse gas emissions by 2060

first_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Bloomberg:China’s pledge to be carbon neutral by 2060 includes all greenhouses gases, not just carbon dioxide, according to one of the country’s top climate researchers.He Jiankun, who chairs the academic committee at the Institute of Climate Change and Sustainable Development at Tsinghua University, made the clarification at a conference on Monday outlining China’s road map to reaching its goal.When President Xi Jinping told the United Nations about China’s new target last month, he didn’t specify if China would target just carbon dioxide — the most prevalent greenhouse gas — or others that also contribute to global warming such as methane, ozone and nitrous oxide. He also didn’t detail how China planned to achieve the target, though the government is expected to lay out some of those measures in its upcoming five-year plan for 2021 to 2025.In line with the target, China should announce more ambitious contributions to the Paris climate accord including reducing its carbon intensity by more than 65% from 2005 levels and aiming for a higher share of non-fossil fuel energy sources by 2030, He said.However, researchers at the conference laid out scenarios that showed even that plan wouldn’t put China on the path to keeping global warming within 2 degrees Celsius from pre-industrial levels, so China would have to scale up targets even more after 2030.More: China Aims to Cut All Greenhouses Gases by 2060, Researcher Says China intends to cut all greenhouse gas emissions by 2060last_img read more

Judge Dismisses Case Against Limo Driver in Crash That Killed 4

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A Suffolk County judge dismissed charges against a limousine driver who was making an illegal U-turn when an alleged drunken driver crashed into the limo, killing four women in Cutchogue last year.Judge Fernando Camacho dismissed the case against Carlos Pino, who had been charged with criminally negligent homicide, assault, reckless driving and traffic violations during a hearing on the case Wednesday. Prosecutors vowed to appeal the ruling.“Pino’s actions were far from just careless,” Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota said. “Pino was driving a vehicle he knew or should have known could never make a safe U-turn under the circumstances…Camacho’s decision appears to ignore this critical and distinguishing fact.”The other driver, Steven Romeo, previously pleaded not guilty to charges of driving while intoxicated. He is due back in court Nov. 3.Authorities said Romero was driving a pickup truck westbound on County Road 48 when he crashed into the limo, which was making a U-turn at the corner of Depot Lane after it had just left Vineyard 48 on July 18, 2015.The four women killed in the crash were identified as Brittany Schulman and Lauren Baruch, both of Smithtown; Stephanie Belli, of Kings Park; and Amy Grabina, of Commack. All were 23 except Baruch, who was 24. Three were pronounced dead at the scene, and the fourth died at an East End hospital. Four other women riding in the limo were injured.last_img read more

Everton boss Martinez rubbishes Barkley to Man City talk

first_img1 Ross Barkley and Roberto Martinez Everton manager Roberto Martinez has rubbished reports linking Manchester City with a move for England midfielder Ross Barkley.The Blues were said this week to be lining up a move for the 20-year-old, one of Everton’s prize assets, next summer.Martinez is well used to being asked about potential bids for Barkley and insisted there had been no contact from City in connection with the player.The Toffees boss said: “It’s a rumour and we’ll leave it there. We’ve spoken enough in the past about potential interest and I always mention the same – we take it as a footballing compliment and we’ll move on.“All we want from Ross now is to be able to get him fully fit and get him ready to enjoy his football and help the team. We are looking forward to that day.”Barkley suffered a knee ligament injury in training just before Everton’s first game of the season against Leicester and had been expected to be ruled out until November at the earliest.Martinez revealed his recovery is ahead of schedule but is reluctant to put a date on Barkley’s possible return to action.“Medicine and football don’t go hand in hand because the football, you want the player to be fit tomorrow, and medicine always wants an extra day,” said the Spaniard.“But he’s doing really well. He’s starting to run, which is something we didn’t expect until next week. Now the next bit will be introducing the ball.“I do expect that he’s going to be a few weeks still but he’s well ahead of what we expected and it’s all positive.”last_img read more