The Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission (BTRC) on Sunday launched its new short code number 100 in a bid to solve customer hazards and problems quickly.BTRC issued a direction in this regard cancelling the previous short code 2872.According to the direction, the operation of Complains for Telecommunication Service (CTS) call centre has gone easier with the new three-digit short code.BTRC secretary Sarwar Alam told UNB the previous number was changed as it was difficult for customers to recognize.The customers will be able to lodge complains from 9:00am to 5:00pm on working days.Along with the short code, phone number 01555121121 and website email@example.com was also available to lodge complain.
Students took to the street Tuesday in demonstration against the death of two students in a road crash in Dhaka Sunday. File photoAgitating students from different schools and colleges blocked key intersections on Wednesday morning in the capital Dhaka, protesting against the killing of two college students in a road crash on Airport Road on Sunday.The students’ demonstration largely disrupted movement of traffic in most parts of the city.The protesters also demanded resignation of the shipping minister Shajahan Khan for patronising ‘unlicensed’ drivers and showing misdemeanor after the death of the two students.The students of Government Science College, Dhaka took to the street in Farmgate area Wednesday morning.Students also held processions across Mohammadpur around 9:00am.Many people were seen moving on foot to reach their destinations in Mirpur. Those who have a far destination like Gulistan or Old Dhaka were seen waiting for buses.On Sunday, Diya Khanam Mim and Abdul Karim Rajib, students of the college section of Shaheed Ramiz Uddin School and College, were killed as a ‘Jabal-e-Noor Paribahan’ bus ploughed through some students in front of Kurmitola General Hospital on Airport Road.
Share Photo via Twitter @RealtorJairoFormer Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort leaves U.S. District Court after pleading not guilty following his indictment on federal charges on Monday, October 30, 2017 in Washington, D.C.While facing several felony charges, Donald Trump‘s former campaign chairman Paul Manafort has been working on an op-ed essay with a longtime colleague “assessed to have ties” to a Russian intelligence service, according to court papers filed Monday by prosecutors working for special counsel Robert Mueller.In a court filing, prosecutors say Manafort and the colleague sought to publish the op-ed under someone else’s name and intended it to influence public opinion about his work in Ukraine. The op-ed was being drafted as late as last week, with Manafort currently under house arrest. Prosecutors did not name the colleague but noted the person is based in Russia.Manafort is currently facing several felony charges involving allegations of money laundering and other financial crimes related to his political consulting work in Ukraine. He has been confined to his home while he works out a bond arrangement with the government.Manafort has denied any wrongdoing related to his work in Ukraine. A spokesman for Manafort declined comment on the op-ed described by prosecutors.In the court filing, prosecutors say the op-ed appeared to violate an admonishment from the judge last month to refrain from public statements.“Even if the ghostwritten op-ed were entirely accurate, fair, and balanced, it would be a violation of this Court’s November 8 Order if it had been published,” the prosecutors wrote. “The editorial clearly was undertaken to influence the public’s opinion of defendant Manafort, or else there would be no reason to seek its publication (much less for Manafort and his long-time associate to ghostwrite it in another’s name).”They added, “It compounds the problem that the proposed piece is not a dispassionate recitation of the facts.”Prosecutors said they discovered the efforts to publish the op-ed last Thursday and alerted Manafort’s attorney, who assured prosecutors that “steps would be taken to make sure it was it was no longer going to be published.”At the time, Manafort was working to secure his release from home confinement by posting more than $10 million in bond, and according to court papers, he had reached a tentative agreement with the government. But after discovering the op-ed, Mueller’s team is now opposing Manafort’s proposed bond agreement.Prosecutors did not disclose the op-ed in court papers so as to prevent it from becoming public. They also did not disclose what name the ghostwritten op-ed would have been published under.Manafort and his longtime business associate, Rick Gates, were indicted in October by a grand jury in Washington. They were among the first people to face charges brought by the special counsel’s office.Manafort led the Trump campaign for several months, including during the Republican National Convention. Gates also worked in a senior role in the campaign.
Kolkata: The West Bengal Joint Entrance Examinations Board (WBJEEB) on Tuesday kicked off e-counselling for admission to four-year degree level engineering and technology, four-year degree level pharmacy, five-year degree level architecture and for all degree level courses in Jadavpur University. The total number of seats available for admission as per website of the West Bengal Joint Entrance Examinations Board is approximately more than 30,000. Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: MamataA detailed notification regarding eligibility and other criteria for e-counseling and admission has already been put up in the website of the Board. The results of West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination was declared on May 20 and 80,580 students are eligible to take part in the couselling. The total number of seats has been created by the state Higher Education department with feedback from all institutions both government and private. Last year, the total number of seats available for admission was around 34,000. The online choice filling of preferred subjects and institutions will continue till June 30. Also Read – Lightning kills 8, injures 16 in stateThe locking will be done at 12 pm on June 30 and the board will publish the first list of seat allotment on July 3. If a student is satisfied with his college and seat allotment he/ she can go to any of the 22 reporting centres across the state and can lock his/ her seat after furnishing documents, payment of admission fees and other formalities. If a candidate is dissatisfied with seat allotment he/ she will have to inform the reporting centre and opt for the second round counselling. The results of second round counseling will be notified on July 9. If a candidate is still not happy with the seat allotment he will be eligible for third which is the last round of counseling. The results of third round seat allotment will be published on July 13. “The dates for physical reporting and admission at finally allotted institutes will be held till July 4 to 20 and the admission process will close on July 20,” said registrar of West Bengal Joint Entrance Examinations Board Dibyendu Kar. Candidates have been advised to go through the notifications of the board before opting for counseling and other formalities for admission which has been clearly notified by the Board. Malayendu Saha, president of WBJEEB said that the board wants all institutions to commence classes by August 1. The majority of institutions available for admission on the basis of results of state Joint Entrance Examination in Bengal is affiliated to Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Technology(MAKAUT). The total number of institutions under MAKAUT is 215 among which 90 offers pure engineering. It may be mentioned that the All India Council of Technical Education has recently denied affiliation to around 2,700 engineering colleges across the country as several seats in these colleges were lying vacant for the last few years.
LIHUE, Hawaii — Dozens of people are stranded at a Red Cross shelter on Kauai after a storm dropped over 2 feet of rain, causing massive flooding and grounding rescue helicopters.Hawaii Gov. David Ige issued an emergency proclamation for the island where heavy rainfall damaged or flooded dozens of homes in Hanalei, Wainiha, Haena and Anahola.About 40 people – mostly tourists – were stranded Sunday at Hanalei Elementary School, where the American Red Cross had opened an evacuation shelter. They briefly ran out of food and water.Coralie Chun Matayoshi, chief executive officer of the Red Cross in Hawaii, said the county’s Department of Parks and Recreation offered to deliver food to the evacuees by personal watercraft, but a nearby business was also dealing with flooding and unable to provide the supplies to be delivered. The Hawaii Guard offered to deliver food by air, but the weather kept the helicopters grounded.Officials will continue rescue efforts when the weather improves.More news: Venice to ban cruise ships from city centre starting next monthThe Kauai Fire Department was co-ordinating with the Coast Guard and the Honolulu Fire Department to provide air and search and rescue operations on the North Shore.The National Weather Service recorded almost 27 inches (68 centimetres) of rainfall in a 24-hour period in Hanalei.Kauai County spokeswoman Sarah Blane said county officials had to call in off-duty firefighters, police officers and lifeguards Saturday night to rescue about a half-dozen people who were trapped by rising floodwaters in Hanalei.The American Red Cross opened evacuation shelters at Kapaa Middle School, the Church of the Pacific in Princeville and at the elementary school.There were no immediate reports of injuries. Tags: Hawaii, Travel Alert Monday, April 16, 2018 Share Severe rainfall forces dozens of tourists into evacuation shelter in Kauai << Previous PostNext Post >> Source: The Associated Press