Manchester United v Liverpool is live on talkSPORT on Saturday from 5.30pm BST.It’s the biggest fixture in the English football league calendar.The two clubs’ intense rivalry runs deep and after respective defeats in their last Premier League matches, both will be looking to inflict a damaging psychological blow so early in the season.United won 3-0 in the corresponding fixture last season but that doesn’t tell the full story, with David De Gea having the game of his life and Raheem Sterling squandering a number of gilt-edged opportunities.Liverpool, up until their 3-0 defeat to West Ham, had shown encouraging signs and their new signings appear to have settled nicely.But the absence of the suspended Philippe Coutinho is a huge blow to Brendan Rodgers on a creative front, while Jordan Henderson’s lingering foot injury means the game may come too soon for the Reds captain.As a result, the Ulsterman may opt for a change in formation to take the game to United.What do you think the Liverpool team should be? Leave a comment below… 11 11 28. Danny Ings (striker) 11 11 21. Lucas Leiva (defensive midfield) 11 11 11. Roberto Firmino (attacking midfield) 11 11 9. Christian Benteke (striker) 12. Joe Gomez (left-back) 11 23. Emre Can (central midfield) 22. Simon Mignolet (goalkeeper) 2. Nathaniel Clyne (right-back) 6. Dejan Lovren (centre-back) 7. James Milner (central midfield) 11 11 37. Martin Skrtel (centre-back)
Simon Clare joins the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast to round up the latest sporting odds.The Coral spokesman talks to Alan Brazil and Danny Murphy about The weekend’s Premier League action and the likely managerial merry-go round.The heat seems to be off for Jose Mourinho, who was 5-2 third favourite for the sack last week before Saturday’s 2-0 win over Arsenal moved him to 33-1. But it’s not so rosy for Liverpool’s Brendan Rodgers, as a 1-1 draw with Norwich takes him to 6-4 to be the next manager out, while Dick Advocaat – with Sunderland rock-bottom of the table – currently 2-1 to be the first managerial casualty of the campaign.Coral is the official betting partner of the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast
1 West Ham boss Slaven Bilic has revealed Andy Carroll is set for up to six weeks out.The striker made only his seventh Premier League start of the season against Bournemouth on Tuesday night, but he limped out of the action after just 12 minutes suffering from a hamstring injury.And the 27-year-old, who has made only 41 appearances for the Hammers since moving to east London from Liverpool in 2012, is now facing another extended spell on the sidelines.Bilic said on Tuesday night he hoped Carroll would be missing for only a couple of weeks, but his worst fears have now been confirmed and he is likely to be without one of his main attacking weapons until early March.“He’s having a scan but it’s another one of those, four to six weeks,” said Bilic.“He’s a positive lad, but of course he is gutted for several reasons. He felt he was back and enjoying his football.“It’s not the end of the world, though. If everything goes well he will be back very soon so there is no reason to be negative.“If it goes as we expect then he will be back for a significant part of the season, the last 10-15 games, with enough time to make a huge impact on our season.”Bilic does, though, have some positive fitness news with winger Victor Moses available to face Newcastle on Saturday after six weeks out with a hamstring injury.Midfielder Cheikhou Kouyate and forward Mauro Zarate are also fit after missing the Bournemouth game. Andy Carroll limps out of West Ham’s match at Bournemouth
Arsenal missed the chance to close the gap at the top of the Premier League. They have Ashley Williams to thank for that.A 2-1 loss to Swansea in front of their own fans means they remain three points behind Tottenham, who also lost their midweek game and six behind leaders Leicester.So what’s to blame for the faltering displays so near the end of the season?Here, some fans have offered their solutions on what or who will finally make Arsenal great again. 1 Arsenal fans’ view on who they should sign and get rid of
VERDICT: Prosecutors say the man acted out of racism. The defendant says he killed the victim in self-defense. By Robert Imrie THE ASSOCIATED PRESS MARINETTE, Wis. – A jury on Friday found a white former sawmill worker guilty in the shooting and stabbing death of a Hmong immigrant with whom he crossed paths while both were hunting squirrels in the northern Wisconsin woods earlier this year. “Mr. Nichols took the verdict very hard,” defense lawyer Kent Hoffmann said. “We believe this was a case of self-defense.” Nichols told investigators he and Vang got into a dispute while hunting separately Jan. 5 in the Peshtigo Wildlife Area. He acknowledged shooting and stabbing Vang, but said he was protecting himself. Prosecutors have portrayed Nichols as prejudiced against Hmong and a liar. In recorded interviews played for jurors, Nichols explained wounds he suffered without saying he had killed a man, gave the wrong location for the shooting and referred to Hmong as “bad” and “mean.” A former boss testified that Nichols once said he hated Hmong and wished he killed a Hmong man he had encountered on a trip. Korte said in his closing argument Friday that Nichols took advantage of the isolation in the Peshtigo Wildlife Area to act on an “ugly trait.” “The only person who had the right to exercise self-defense is dead, killed by the defendant,” Korte said. Nichols told investigators he shot and stabbed Vang after the Hmong hunter shot him twice in the hands. But several witnesses disputed elements of his story; even a firearms expert called by the defense Friday said Vang appeared to have fired only once. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREChargers go winless in AFC West with season-ending loss in Kansas CityThe jury found James Nichols guilty of second-degree intentional homicide in the death of Cha Vang, a case that had rekindled racial tensions in northern Wisconsin, where a Hmong deer hunter fatally shot six white hunters three years ago. Nichols appeared to fight back tears as he left the courtroom with his arms folded against his chest. Pang Vue, the victim’s widow, collapsed outside the courtroom after the verdict and was carried away moaning by a sheriff’s deputy. A family member said later that she had fainted and was taken to a hospital, but she was expected to be fine. “We are pleased with the verdict,” said Assistant Attorney General Roy Korte who prosecuted the case. “I am sure it was a tough decision and we respect the verdict.” Nichols, 29, of Peshtigo, had been charged with first-degree intentional homicide, but the judge gave jurors an alternative of the lesser charge that carries a maximum 60-year prison term instead of life. Judge David Miron said a sentencing date would be set next week. Nichols also was convicted on charges of hiding a corpse and being a felon in possession of a firearm.
From news services The Colorado Rockies voted a full playoff share for the widow of minor league coach Mike Coolbaugh, killed by a line drive this season while coaching first base. Some of the veteran players decided to award a full share to Amanda Coolbaugh. Their two sons, 5-year-old Joseph and 3-year-old Jacob, will throw out the first pitch in Game 3 at Colorado. Coolbaugh was a first base coach for the Rockies’ double-A affiliate, the Tulsa Drillers. The former major leaguer was killed July 22, when a line drive struck him in the head. Shortstop Troy Tulowitzki, a former Long Beach State standout, said awarding the family a share was the right thing to do. “We’re obviously happy with the decision,” Tulowitzki said on Thursday. “I hope they are, too, and I’m sure they will be.” Shaken by Coolbaugh’s death, Rockies first base coach Glenallen Hill now wears a helmet. Manager Clint Hurdle was touched by the gesture. “(It) speaks to their awareness, speaks to their passion, speaks to every good thing about them,” Hurdle said. Mientkiewicz gets tangled up Doug Mientkiewicz lasted just four innings. The cameraman was done even sooner. The Yankees first baseman accidentally got tangled up with a TV cameraman and injured his left ankle just hours before the New York’s playoff opener night against Cleveland. Mientkiewicz, who’s had problems with that ankle in the past, started the game. He popped out in his only at-bat and was replaced pinch-hitter Shelley Duncan in the fifth inning. The cameraman, a freelancer hired from the Cleveland area, was fired by the YES Network. The network did not reveal his name. The accident occurred while Mientkiewicz was walking up a ramp at Jacobs Field. The cameraman was recording while backpedaling. “My left foot was up, and he fell kind of right on the back of my heel. My ankle rolled,” Mientkiewicz said before the game. “It’s going to deter (me) from stealing like 15 bases. “I rolled it pretty good, but it’s all right.” Around the leagues Padres: Right fielder Brian Giles had microfracture surgery on his right knee, which he originally hurt in mid-April. The Padres also claimed infielder Luis Rodriguez off waivers from the Twins and requested waivers on outfielder Brady Clark for the purpose of giving him his unconditional release. Brewers: Catcher Johnny Estrada was scheduled to have surgery to repair a torn medial meniscus in his left knee. The team said he would undergo the arthroscopic surgery in Birmingham, Ala. He was also going to have a bone spur removed from his right elbow. Tigers: Designated hitter Gary Sheffield will have shoulder surgery Monday but is expected to be ready for the start of spring training. The 38-year-old appeared in 133 games in 2007 and is signed with the Tigers through 2009.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.The Hampton, a Los Angeles Class submarine assigned to Submarine Squadron Eleven, is the most advanced nuclear attack submarine in the world, carrying a torpedo, cruise missile, and mine-laying arsenal, according to information on the Navy’s Web site. The submarine is docked in San Diego. Myrick said Portland will be temporarily reassigned and the Hampton will not conduct operations until the Navy can confirm the safety standards have been met. “He has not been charged with any offense nor has he received nonjudicial punishment,” Myrick said. There was no phone listing for Portland in San Diego, and the Navy did not immediately respond to an AP interview request. Portland’s removal comes after officials also discovered that logs on the Hampton had been filled out to make it appear the daily checks of the reactor water had actually been done. The commanding officer of the nuclear-powered submarine USS Hampton was relieved of his duty Thursday because of a loss of confidence in his leadership, the Navy said. Cmdr. Michael B. Portland was relieved of duty after a U.S. Navy investigation found the ship failed to do daily safety checks on its nuclear reactor for a month and falsified records to cover up the omission. “His oversight of the crew’s performance did not identify these issues” without an outside inspection, Navy Lt. Alli Myrick, a public affairs officer, told The Associated Press. It appears from a preliminary investigation on the Hampton that sailors in Submarine Squadron 11 had skipped the required analysis of the chemical and radiological properties of the submarine’s reactor for more than a month, even though a daily check is required.
Unincorporated Azusa’s Dalton Park has some unusual new playground pieces: an elliptical cross-trainer, a chest press, an “air walker plus” and other free gym equipment. The outdoor gym machines appeared at five county parks in recent months, and county Supervisor Gloria Molina announced this week that these “Fitness Zones” will be installed at five more San Gabriel Valley locations next year. Of course, “it is a little pricey,” Molina said. Her office contributed $125,000 toward the $200,000 cost of the first five Fitness Zones. The equipment prices ranged from $673 for a sit-up board to $3,081 for a two-person shoulder press. “Because they are outside, they have to withstand a little more wear and tear, just like playground equipment,” Molina said. “So it is pricey, but it’s a lot cheaper than people having to buy it individually.” Similar equipment is also at San Angelo Park in Avocado Heights, at Sunshine Park in East Valinda and two parks in East Los Angeles. The next five Fitness Zones will be installed by July, with one in Lashbrook Park in El Monte, and two each at the Santa Fe Dam in Irwindale and at Whittier Narrows County Regional Parks, according to Molina’s office. TPL received $50,000 from Kaiser Permanente to develop the first five Fitness Zones, and TPL chipped in $25,000 of their own funds. The $200,000 total went toward installation, construction management, signs, staff time and, of course, equipment. TPL bought $90,000 worth of equipment from TriActive America, one of the very few manufacturers of outdoor gym equipment, said Helen O’Shea, TPL’s Fitness Zones project manager. [email protected] (626) 962-8811, Ext. 2730 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREThe project was managed by The Trust for Public Land, a land conservation nonprofit. The idea is to create new exercise options in existing parks, said TPL spokeswoman Nicole Lampe. “There are a lot of places for kids to get active, and we wanted to add a way for their parents to get active,” Lampe said. “We’re choosing parks based on population density and lack of access to physical activity, so places where there aren’t a lot of gyms, or where the average income level means a lot of folks wouldn’t have a gym membership,” Lampe said. Dalton Park features nine pieces of equipment with 13 exercise stations. Strength-training equipment works the legs, chest and arms, with resistance provided by the exerciser’s body weight. Pull-up bars and a sit-up board are also part of the package. Four pieces of cardio equipment complete the zone, but the elliptical, the two swing-like “air walkers” and the rowing-motion “rider” offer no resistance.
Frank Ryan, Chairman – IDA Ireland, Minister Richard Bruton, Martin Shanahan, CEO – IDA IrelandJOBS Minister Richard Bruton will make a rare jobs announcement outside of Dublin today when he visits Donegal to give recognition to one of our huge successes.Pramerica, the Letterkenny-based financial company, will formally unveil plans for its new premises in the town – with hundreds of new positions.The company has been so stretched for space that 200 employees currently work from home. Company boss Caroline Faulkner will formally announce the plans to staff and the Minister today.It follows our story three weeks ago when plans for the new premises were approved by Donegal County Council.The IDA is backing the multi-million euro expansion plans. HUNDREDS OF NEW JOBS AS MINISTER IN DONEGAL FOR PRAMERICA ANNOUNCEMENT was last modified: July 22nd, 2015 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:AmericaIDAinvestmentletterkennypramerica
Cristiano Ronaldo lifts the coveted Champions League trophy for the third time 1 Cristiano Ronaldo scored the winning spot kick as Real Madrid beat Atletico Madrid in a penalty shoot-out to win their 11th Champions League title.It was a thrilling final at the San Siro which saw Atleti rally after a poor first-half performance.Sergio Ramos put Los Blancos deservedly ahead after just 15 minutes when he poked Gareth Bale’s headed flick-on past goalkeeper Jan Oblak, who pulled off some remarkable saves in the Atletico net.Real dominated the opening 45 minutes, but Diego Simeone’s men were gifted the chance to net an equaliser just seconds after the restart when Pepe conceded a penalty, only for star man Antoine Griezmann to send his spot kick against the bar.It was not the only opportunity they had to pull themselves level, with former Manchester City defender Stefan Savic later prodding wide of the post when it looked easier to score.Diego Simeone’s men struggled to fire on all cylinders for the majority of the game, and it seemed they could be left to rue those missed chances as a seemingly comfortable Real edged closer to victory.But they suddenly sparked to life when half-time substitute Carrasco scored with just 11 minutes remaining to pull Atleti level and force extra-time.It was a wonderful goal. Juanfran lost his marker on the right flank, with a volleyed first-time cross catching out the Real defence and perfectly picking out Carrasco’s run, as the 22-year-old Belgian fired in from close-range.Real and Atleti both had chances to find the winner in the additional half-hour, but, with players suffering from cramp all over the pitch, it seemed the derby tie was destined to go to a shoot-out.Both sides exhibited exquisite technique from the spot, but penalties can be cruel to even the best players and it was Atletico defender Juanfran who was guilty this time, as he fired his side’s fourth penalty against the post.That left Portuguese superstar Ronaldo – who didn’t have his best game – to wrap up the win, and he made no mistake as Real were crowned champions of Europe again.