University to turn over financial documents in sexual harassment case

first_imgThe University will be required to turn over evidence showing financial support received by Notre Dame from the family and businesses tied to a former academic coach who allegedly harassed a Notre Dame student, according to an article from the South Bend Tribune. The lawsuit, filed Oct. 30, 2015, alleges the University employee coerced the student into a sexual relationship with her daughter, according to court documents.An order was filed in the St. Joseph Circuit Court last week, and Special Judge Michael Scopelitis ruled today that Notre Dame must turn over certain records that show the financial ties between the former tutor’s family and the University, the Tribune reported Tuesday. Earlier this month, the lawsuit claimed the University employee had previously harassed a different student, but that the University had failed to discipline her on account of her financial ties to the University.The suit also alleges University administrators knew about the misconduct and, citing Title VI and Title IX, had a responsibility to intervene for the student’s well being, which was compromised by a racially and sexually hostile environment.The student’s attorney argued that information about the former employee’s financial relationship with the University could serve as evidence as to whether or not Notre Dame was aware of the misconduct and failed to take proper action.According to the court documents, the suit alleges the University employee — “Jane Roe” — coerced the plaintiff — “John Doe,” an African-American student at the University — into a sexual relationship with her daughter, who attends a “nearby school” but is also an employee of the University. Notre Dame said it placed the woman on leave after the complaint was filed in August 2015 and fired her in October, after an investigation.Tags: Sexual harassment, St. Joseph’s County, Title IXlast_img read more

Arsenal must sign a top class striker and Welbeck could be a good option, says club legend

first_imgArsenal legend Frank McLintock has told Arsene Wenger he must sign another top class striker if Olivier Giroud is ruled out long-term.Wenger fears Giroud will be missing until the New Year with an ankle injury and, according to McLintock, there is no one in the current squad who can replace the Frenchman.Yaya Sanogo is the only other recognised striker, while Theo Walcott, Lukas Podolski and Alexis Sanchez have been used in central roles before, but McLintock insists none of those players have the necessary qualities to fill in for Giroud.“He [Wenger] badly needs another top class striker,” said McLintock, speaking on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast.“Sanogo, he is quite sprightly and works very hard, but technically he is way behind being a player that can play for one of the teams in the top four.“When you look at Man City and one or two of the other clubs up there they are way ahead of us as far as centre forward positions [are concerned].“I know he has mentioned Podolski playing there and Walcott playing there and occasionally they can play there, but not if a player like Giroud is out for two or three months.“When you are running form the wide positions there is room and you can see everything in front of you but when you move to a centre forward role, with your back to goal against tight defences, I don’t think it works very often at all.“A guy who scores you 25 goals a season often wins you a championship, and I don’t think we have got that.”Arsenal have been linked with a move for Manchester United forward Danny Welbeck, and McLintock believes he would be a positive signing.“I think he would be a good addition,” he added.“He is still a young lad, he has had a lot of experience playing for Man United and he would give us a definite option, because last year Giroud was running himself into the ground.“There were some games where he was very tired and we had no one really to step into that position.”last_img read more